Moving from NSW to Tasmania with my IRN Please Help

Moderator: Mods

Gemma

Moving from NSW to Tasmania with my IRN Please Help

Post by Gemma »

Can anyone help me? It is my absolute dream to move from the mainland Australia to that wonderful little island Tasmania but I am not sure if they will let my IRN in with me. There is an import site about Tasmania that I found that says I can't but people in Tasmania have ringnecks as pets and I just want to know if this site means importing from out of Australia into Tasmania. It's my dream but I absolutely wont go, if my beautiful Benny can't go with me. It is incredibly upsetting to me the idea that I can't go with him but there is no way that I can leave him as he means way too much to me. If anyone has moved from mainland Australia to Tasmania with their IRN's or has any information that would help (eg. numbers to call) I would greatly appreciate their time. Please Help

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter/nsf/At ... mania..pdf

^^ that is the site that I was talking about

Please
ellieelectrons

Re: Moving from NSW to Tasmania with my IRN Please Help

Post by ellieelectrons »

Call them to confirm but I read that as you can't import them from overseas. As far as I know Tasmania is still a part of Australia :wink: so I don't think they would stop you but it's probably worth a phone call or email.

I would very much like to spend 6 months in Europe at some stage in my life and would dearly like to take Janey & Charlie with me but I'm pretty sure that we could probably take them with us but not bring them back to Australia again.

Ellie.
Scruffymurphy

Post by Scruffymurphy »

My mother in law works for quarantine down here in tassie so I will ask her for you next time I see her and get back to you.
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

Thank you both so much! I have been really worried about it. I thought the document meant that you couldn't bring them in from overseas but then I started second guessing myself...then the freaking out happened. My mum was the brilliant one to suggest posting my question on this site (upon seeing how upset I was getting). Thankyou Ellie and that would be really great if you could do that Scruffymurphy. I appreciate both of your time so much :)
miss lacey loo

Post by miss lacey loo »

Hii
I'm from tazzy and have moved between here and SA numerous times with budgies and tiels! Recently I heard they arent allowing import of IRNS into TAS anymore. Best thing to do is get on google and go to the DIPWE on the tas government site. It will have all info and numbers to call to find out for sure. As I'm a state hopper I'd love to know too...
:)
Scruffymurphy

Post by Scruffymurphy »

Hi sorry it took so long to get back to you. She said you can bring them in but you need to get a permit from tas parks and wildlife. Apparently you need to do this for all birds now. I don't think it is hard to get one, they just need to know what is coming in and that it hasn't got any disease or something.
Hope this helps
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

Thankyou so much. I have been looking everywhere but I was just so upset that I was just getting frustrated when I couldn't find anything. Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!
mallee_1

Post by mallee_1 »

Gemma,

Ring them as you may be able to get it over as a pet, they have definately stopped the import of Indian ringnecks and a few other birds on the basis as they are a declared pest. They dont want escaped birds establishing in Tassie.

You will need a permit and there is restrictions on what can food can be placed in movement cage/box.

Ring them it is the only way you will know if you can take over, but make sure you talk to the right person, you know the run around and different answers you can get from Government departments.

Rigs
Gemma

Post by Gemma »

Thankyou everybody for all your help. I really appreciate it :)
ken_31

Post by ken_31 »

Hi Gemma was wondering how did you go with getting your Ringnecks into Tas, i have just flown some down from Queensland and didn't know that they wasn't allowed until the customs officer looked at them and told me i had to ring wildlife to check if they was allowed or to get a permit, after several phone calls and a visit from wildlife i'm told i have to send them back at my cost, i had used Dogtainers a proper animal transport company and no one mentioned or seemed to know that they may not be allowed or would need a permit.

Cheers Ken.