Getting IRN on May 16.

Moderator: Mods

jmmercer

Getting IRN on May 16.

Post by jmmercer »

Hi all!
Quick question. I have my new IRN coming on the 16th of May and I was just curious what I should have ready for him when he arrives? I have a super nice cage, two bowls (food/water), one wooden perch, and a play area on top of the cage with two bowls and a wooden perch. What else should I have, aside from toys/food, when he gets here? Any recommendations from experienced owners would be greatly appreciated.
I heard some people use lights for thier birds (full spectrum to mimic sunlight)/heaters. Will I need this stuff? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. OH! And we decided to name him Emerson (after Ralph Waldo Emerson. I'm a lit geek ;)). Thanks!! :D

Chicklet

Re: Getting IRN on May 16.

Post by Chicklet »

Based on all the research I've done (got our four week old baby yesterday!) it really depends on the age of your IRN as far as what you will need. The breeder I got Rikku from does not use a brooder or any lights. He uses a heating pad on low under a plastic storage bin, pine bedding and a baby receiving blanket on top with the babies housed in a bird room kept at 80 degrees. If your bird will be as young as ours ( we are hand feeding and will wean) then you won't use a cage right away. Also, very young IRNs should start out with a cage with the smaller bars and low perches so the don't fall and hurt themselves. You should include the age of your little one when you get him or her so those with more experience can give you more specific info than what I have.
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

Thanks for the speedy response. =)
Emerson will already be weaned by the time I get him (the breeder is doing that right now). Not sure on an exact age, but keeping the perches low is a good tip (one I wouldn't have thought of!) and the cage we have for him does have smaller bars.

jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

Also, that's about four weeks from now. Not sure how long it takes to wean them..?

Chicklet

Post by Chicklet »

You're welcome!

I doubt you will need a lamp if the little guy will already be weaned as long as it's not really cold. I was told to have millet and seed and to offer fruits and vegetables and have heard much talk of pellets. There are lists of foods that are dangerous, so make sure to check into that. Some household items can be dangerous as well. It would be a good idea to look up socialization activities as well, and info on how to handle bluffing if your little guy goes through that stage.

I think each bird is a little different where weaning is concerned. I think most are pretty well weaned around three months, give or take a week or two.
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

I've found a few great resources on bluffing, so I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :) What kind of seed/pellet will you have your little one on once he/she is weaned? I'm leaning towards the Kaytee natural line (it's free of dyes and artificial additives). It seems to have good reviews across the board and it's pretty good price wise.

I've also got the lists of foods/plants/cleaners that might be harmful to him. We don't keep houseplants, but I have it anyway. You can never be too careful! :D
I've also been looking at foraging toys and perches for his cage. I'm not sure if one perch is better than another. Someone told me once that concrete and pumice perches are a no-no. Currently looking at natural perches in a couple of different sizes.

jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

Also, what about heated perches?

Chicklet

Post by Chicklet »

I am not sure which seed I got since it came out of the bin in the store, lol. I will have to look when I go back in to see. I don't know anything about heated perches, so I will defer to someone else on that. Foraging toys are supposed to be good, too. Sorry it took me a bit longer to respond this time...it was Rikku's dinner time at 5pm. What a hungry little bugger tonight, lol.
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

NP. Yeah, I'm just curious. I've been surfing around the web looking for the best food etc. :D

happybird

Post by happybird »

I have recently acquired an IRN- 5 months - hand reared - and I would recommend seeing what he likes when he's home before buying too much i the way of toys etc. Our little guy, Bandit, struggled with the small parrt toys we bought, and has done much better with things made for cockatiels. just a thought!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

This might help regarding toy selection:
http://myparrotshop.com.au/selecting-pa ... o_123.html

Personally, I would recommend you look at the foraging threads on this forum for some ideas:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 01&p=69400
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=13466
http://www.parrotenrichment.com/ - this site has some free ebooks to download

Also, check out what he's got access to where he currently lives - even see if you can take something that he is used to with you as it might make him feel more secure.

Best wishes!

Ellie.
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

Thanks for all the links. I will definitely check them out.:)
My partner and I just got done buying foraging toys, brightly colored rattles, some toys that he can eviscerate, and a spiral shaped perch. I think Emerson will enjoy these greatly.
Ebooks are always great. I was looking for some just today and couldn't find any free ones. Thanks for the tips! :mrgreen: