help ... my 2 new irn's wont stop scratching

Moderator: Mods

beautiful-lady

help ... my 2 new irn's wont stop scratching

Post by beautiful-lady »

Hi all

I brought home 2 new IRNs yesterday from a pet shop and they wont stop scratching. They get pretty annoyed with it too. its mainly around their face and wings. Should i take them to the vet and get looked at or just give them a bath???

Also does anyone clip their own birds wings or do u get a vet to do it ???
taywer321

Re: help ... my 2 new irn's wont stop scratching

Post by taywer321 »

Mine scratch a lot when they need a bath.. And they demand a bath at least almost every other day. Do you notice any feather dust coming off them when they scratch? Try a bath and see if this helps. At your local pet store they probably sell a bird bath spray with molt-ease to soothe the itchy skin and feathers, I've used it on my parrots also.

For wing clipping I prefer to have my avian vet do this. I don't like being the bad guy that has to restrain them in a towel and pull out their wings to clip. :-)
beautiful-lady

Post by beautiful-lady »

thanks heaps for the help taywer :D ill find a avian vet near me :D
claire31

Post by claire31 »

Hi
Our IRN preens a lot and scratched a lot when we first got her maybe it was coming from the pet shop environment certainly eased with baths we introduced her to the shower and now shower with her every other day shes 6.5 months old. She will now start screeching and opening her wings when she hears the shower start if she wants to go in. its certainly easier we hold her near the shower head and let her decide when to duck under and we will also cover the drain with our feet and let her surf on the bottom pool, its also helped with handling her especially for me as she favours my hubby but i'm the one who wraps her in a face washer and rubs her dry she loves it and now snuggles with me for several minutes after a shower.
claire
tazysBABY

Post by tazysBABY »

hi,
well, even mine, i gt wen he was 4 weeks, n nw he is 2mnths old, well d thing isi thought they preen a lot when they are young so as to develop new feathers..nw he is typically looking grown and good, but i have a problem, i think he has got flees in his body, i have not seen it in his face or anywhere as of yet, but yeah i see them crawling on my face, tiny as a dot, i have itch on my hands, i dont know what to do! i started bathing him every other day and i dotn even carry him nw more often as i have got a sensitive skin and dont want flees in my body, i miss touching him so much and petting him, can ny of u tell me hw does a mite or a flee or ny parasite of irn look like?!i dont have any other pets at home xcept him!!
plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help!