Can a ringneck live with another type of bird?

Moderator: Mods

kortch

Can a ringneck live with another type of bird?

Post by kortch »

if they are both babies and grow up together ? im thinking of getting a quaker or love bird to be a companion for the ringneck i will be getting this summer. The ringneck would be very young when i get it . iv seen alot of youtube videos of them living and playing together . just wondering if this is a good idea , or i could get two male ringnecks but they would have less room in the cage i have . ( it wouldnt be extremely squished )but obviously it would be more roomy if one of the birds is smaller .

*also the birds would spend alot of time out of the cage during the day (with supervision of course)and
if they did end up starting to fight eventually then i would obviously seperate them.
ellieelectrons

Re: Can a ringneck live with another type of bird?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think it is unlikely that the birds would cohabitate successfully.

Ellie.
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

It honestly depends on the birds. I have 2 conures along with my indian ringneck. I had 1 conure initially and then got my indian ringneck. And then added a second conure. My indian ringneck only accepts the conure I had prior to owning him. The new conure he has no desire to interact with, unless he is stealing her food. LOL.
HOWEVER...
They do manage to cohabitate fine, they're just not best friends. My conures are most interested in playing with each other, and my irn is most interested in playing with me. :-D

If you do decide to do this, do not cage the birds of different types together. They should have their own cages so that none of them get injured in a fight. IRN's are considerably larger than a lovebird and could really hurt the little one if you're not careful.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

taywer321 wrote:They do manage to cohabitate fine, they're just not best friends. My conures are most interested in playing with each other, and my irn is most interested in playing with me. :-D
Do your birds share a cage? By cohabitate I meant "share a cage"... but I realise that it could probably also mean living in the same human house.

Just to clarify - I was offering advice that I didn't think these birds should share a cage. There is a small chance they could get along fine in the same cage but I think it is too much of a risk.

Having two types of birds in your own home housed in separate cages that are out together during supervised play time is something completely different from what I was talking about.

Ellie.