My cremino female has no tail feathers!

Moderator: Mods

elisa2097

My cremino female has no tail feathers!

Post by elisa2097 »

I rescued a cremino irn a few months ago and she has no tail feathers! When i got her she was kept in a small aviary but her owners did'nt know what to do with her so i took her. i don't know how old she is and her over all feather condition is poor. Is it possible that she could be really old and this is why she has poor feather condition?, She has no leg band so i really no other info on her. I have other irns and they are in perfect condition, How often do they moult? they get plenty of fruit and veg, is there any advise you could give me? she really does look awful. Also is there any technique for aging them?

Thanks,
Elisa
rod038

Re: My cremino female has no tail feathers!

Post by rod038 »

They generally moult once a year and it takes about 8 weeks. No way of knowing how old she is unfortunately. She may have mites which can effect her feathering or it could be bad nutrition.
Get her checked by a vet and they may be able to tell you whats wrong.
I would keep her well away from your other birds till you have ruled out anything more serious.
elisa2097

Post by elisa2097 »

I have her in her own cage, do you have any idea at what time of year they usually malt? i have been spraying her with an anti-mite spray. I will give it a few more weeks but if it gets worst then it's off to the vets.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

They are moulting now in Australia.