Training our IRN to speak.

Moderator: Mods

Pete_and_meeks

Training our IRN to speak.

Post by Pete_and_meeks »

Any advice or tips anyone can share on training a 6 month old IRN to start speaking? and at what stage? right now its still early days. we have had him for 1 week. he came from an aviary of other IRNs but wasnt tame. no he accepts food from our hand is is begging to step up. :)
taywer321

Re: Training our IRN to speak.

Post by taywer321 »

It does not take long for the speaking ability to pick up. Pick some words and phrases you would like him to learn and just say them every day. For example I say "good morning!" when I uncover mine. and "night night" when its bed time. I always say whatcha doing? and we play peekaboo. That is how he picked up those words/phrases. Repetition!! I can tell which words my bird is going to begin practicing because when I say them to him he will freeze and stare, with his eyes pinning a little so I can tell he's really listening to what I'm saying. Good luck!
BugsBirds

Post by BugsBirds »

Giji, our green IRN started talking at 7 months. Although, the first thing he learned was the "cat call" whistle my husband taught him :lol: Now he is 10 months old and says:

What are you doing?
Good boy
Come Here
Gimme a kiss!
Thank you

He also says "WOO". He learned all of this very quickly. IRN's listen intently to what you say. You can tell they're listening because they freeze and stare at you. The words he can say are phrases we say to him everyday, so with repetition he learned quickly. Like training a dog, repetition is key to them learning. He'll listen to everything you say. So especially be careful if you cuss or if anyone around your IRN is cussing. Because those words are almost impossible to get out of their vocabulary.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

My 5 year old came to me saying "peek a boo", "hello", "I love you", "Hiiiiiii ", and picked up "Whatcha doin" really quickly and in the matter of a few days started saying, "Hey boy, come here" which is what I had been saying when I rattled the new treat box.

He will also overwhelm you with noisy kisses.

My female only says "****" but is very communicative if you understand parrotese.
jhebert9

Post by jhebert9 »

Repetition is key, our first irn wasn't tame but learned her name "penguin". She also mimicked the dogs different noises.
Darwin, Turquoise Chick
AiSell

Post by AiSell »

Well I think that my bird never try to speak anything! I tried many times but still haven't results :(