Noise level?

Moderator: Mods

Exzander

Noise level?

Post by Exzander »

If the bird is constantly given attention (someone home with him all day) and he isn't neglected in any way, given ample attention and ample toys/interesting things to do, stimulated etc, how loud are they?

I'm not talking about the normal morning wake up noise or the afternoon let's go to bed noise, I just mean throughout the day and just in general, given the above situation (tons of attention, stimulation, never neglected, etc). Chirping/talking throughout the day is expected, I just mean the loud screaming and heavy noise, how much to expect of that?

Thanks guys.
taywer321

Re: Noise level?

Post by taywer321 »

I think it depends on the individual bird. At first, my baby was really quiet. Once he settled in he began making little noises which gradually increased in noise level. Once he really became comfortable in our home, he became the noisiest. Although I have two sun conures (who are extremely vocal and loud) and my IRN has discovered how to screech loudly (probably because of my sunnies)
But recently my baby has learned to talk which really limits the annoying screeching. He now says
-whatcha doin
-peekaboo
-the wolf whistle
-kissy sounds
-good boy
and is still learning more every day. Hearing their sweet little voices makes the noise less of a concern, IRN's are precious :-D
Melika

Re: Noise level?

Post by Melika »

And it doesn't just depend on the individual bird- it depends on your perception of noise.

For instance my mother says finches and budgies are extremely noisy. For me, loud higher pitches hurt the most so male 'teils, smaller macaws, sometimes lovebirds, and cockatoos are intensely noisy.

Finches and other chattering birds don't bother me at all. A few screeches from a cockatiel or the alarm call of a lovebird drives me up the wall.

I find that Hane is a relatively quiet bird. But I am also a quiet person. I don't have loud music or television going. He doesn't talk much because I don't talk much either. Most of his noises are quiet and cooing. When he gets very happy he'll tell me I'm a "pretty bird, yeeeeaaaaah". But even that is fairly quiet. Every once in a while he'll alarm call or try to figure out where I am and that hurts but it isn't very often. He gets the loudest as I'm walking down the stairs, upset that I'm leaving him. A few calls and that's it. He also has a particular toy he beats up at those times and that seems to help him stop calling.

To me, he is pretty quiet. My fiance, however, thought he was exceedingly loud at first because Hane would alarm call when he was in his cage and approached by new people. It echoes something fierce in this room!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay