lost. how do i sex a young irn? plz help!

Moderator: Mods

evaleen

lost. how do i sex a young irn? plz help!

Post by evaleen »

umm... :? i'm a newbie...
and i'm hoping this post will b welcomed warmly. i really need u guys help... :(

the pet shops around here are VERY unreliable. i could swear that they might not even care!
so that's why i'm totally lost... :cry:
i really want a male irn, and i want one that's around 2 to 4 months old.
but i cant rely on the pet shop people to identify their gender.

any help? how can i identify the genders of young green irns? :?:
pictures of male and female irns would b greatly appreciated. at least to get a vague idea. :)

don't u guys have pictures of your babies wen they were 3 months old? plz... could u share them here?

i really want to bring my feathered friend home as soon as possible... so i'd love the help... :D
the articles already on this site are awesome. but it seems that they are more applicable to the older birds. :(

pleeeeeeezzzzzzzzz help.... :roll:
Eva
casey7e

Re: lost. how do i sex a young irn? plz help!

Post by casey7e »

Well I am new to ringnecks myself but did lots of research. There really isnt any real way of telling the gender without doing a dna test. I just got my ringneck from a breeder that had 2 left. She is pretty certain mine is a boy but still not 100% I was going to have him tested but I love him already I dont really care. You can see if they will allow you to do the dna testing.. www.avianbiotech.com will mail you a free test kit..you just need to pull a few feathers out of the brids chest and send them in. Maybe if you put one on hold with a small deposit they might let you do this. It only takes 24 48hrs after they get the feathers for a result sent to your email.
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

thank u thank u thank u for replying casey7e!
:D :D :mrgreen:

but my parent wont let me do dna test... (bummer)
plus, the pet shops around here are horrible (trust me) and i'd have to buy the bird b4 performing a dna test on it. so the problem still remains.

i soooooooo want a male irn! i love their plumage, the colors and most importantly, the ring! they'r so beautiful...

anyone has any pictures of 3month old males and females?
Eva
julie

Post by julie »

if you cant do dna then you will have to take a chance.
bec

Post by bec »

did you try looking for local breeders?
you might have more luck goetting a dna sexed one
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

i have searched for a breeder for the past month... i simply couldnt find any...
mayb i was looking in all the wrong places... but i still dought there will b good breeders over here... :(
i'v got a mostache parakeet now, and altho its extremly wary of me, i'v fallen in love with it.
i plan on breeding it with another mostach parakeet next year too... i hope we can b friends soon... :)
Eva