how often should I be handling my babies

Moderator: Mods

likatiger

how often should I be handling my babies

Post by likatiger »

I have just got my two babies home and they are 5 weeks old and I am hand raising them. They are in the cardboard box the breeder gave them to me in. I have just been getting them out 3 times a day to feed them and that is it. Should I be leaving them be or should I be getting them out a bit more? And when should they be transfered to the cage.. once they have all their feathers?
likatiger

Re: how often should I be handling my babies

Post by likatiger »

someone here must have an answer for me ????? please????
kamerynn

Post by kamerynn »

I'm no expert but from my own experiences ...

If you want them tame you need to handle them more, even if it's just cuddles on your lap while you watch TV. Don't expect them to sit on your shoulder but they'll enjoy your company, and will probably drop off to sleep. As my IRNs got older I found that they started getting more active and would wander around tasting things. Now they've just fledged and they're not interested in sitting on boring old me, but I'm sure they'll come back to me when the novelty of flying wears off.

I used a plastic guinea pig habitat as a transitional home between the brooder and cage - it has solid plastic walls to block breezes and give them something to snuggle against, a wire top to stop escapes, a couple of low perches and wooden ladders, and enough space for food and water dishes and some French millet pegged on the side of the cage. I put them in there when their heads and wings were fully feathered because then they didn't need the heat lamp on them any more (though they still like it if I offer it overnight). They moved into a flight cage when the plastic cage became too small for their crazy flapping. And now they spend most of the day on top of the play frame looking down at the rest of the family :)

3 feeds a day doesn't sound like enough for 5 week old chicks. At that age I was doing 4 feeds. I've just dropped my youngest back to 3 feeds at 7 weeks of age. Have you read the "Hand rearing" sticky topic on the forum?
likatiger

Post by likatiger »

Thanks for the info, yes I had a read of that and had a good search around the whole forum and have learned heaps. The breeder I bought them off told me 3 feeds as that is all he was doing with them at this age, they might be older and will post pics when i can get them to settle long enough for a photo or two.

Thanks again
Jason
julie

Post by julie »

I had my bubs in a puppy pen that I made into a bird safe cage,i made it so that i could take the roof off and they could learn to fly safely. When they started learning to fly they could climb up the cage and flap their wings as they went and then by the time they managed to reach the top their wings were nice and strong. They could also run around the bottom of the pen and get used to climbing onto the rope perches that I have in for them. If you have a cage that the top opens you could use it the same way,otherwise have the perches low enough for them to safely get onto at first and they should be right.
likatiger

Post by likatiger »

Thanks Julie, I will try them for a while during the day in their cage I have waiting for them. I will just have to keep an eye on them to see how they take to it. They have almost got all their feathers and are coming along great. Had them both on my lap today for about an hour and they seemed to get more relaxed as the time went on, just sat here and talked to them while giving them the odd scratch every now and then while repeating the word scratch to them as I picked that tip up from here.
julie

Post by julie »

It also helps to touch their toenails and their wings,pretty muchly try to get them used to being touched the way they will when they are older.It sounds like you are doing a great job with them 8)