Adopting a macaw, already have an IRN. I'm NERVOUS

Moderator: Mods

yoshi

Adopting a macaw, already have an IRN. I'm NERVOUS

Post by yoshi »

Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but Yoshi is almost a year and a half and he is doing wonderfully! My husband and I recently moved and Yoshi is still adjusting to the new environment. But yesterday a friend called and said she knew someone who was trying to adopt out a macaw. She didn't tell me what type, hopefully I will hear from this person today.

But, I didn't know if anyone else had a macaw and IRNs. I'm nervous for Yoshi, I don't want him to end up getting hurt or feeling left out, as we have never had another bird around him. It's been my dream to rescue birds, so I thought this was a great opportunity, especially because the bird is free, supposedly handleable and comes with a cage. (I'm thinking an adoption like this would be a nice transition into rescuing.

If you could let me know what experience you all have had that would be great.

Thanks!
Any advice is appreciated! :)
ellieelectrons

Re: Adopting a macaw, already have an IRN. I'm NERVOUS

Post by ellieelectrons »

Best wishes! I've met several people with macaws & they're very hard work. I don't imagine you're doing this lightly but you really need to do your research especially if it's an adoption, there could be significant behavioral problems. I think a macaw could intimidate a ringie but I really don't know.

Well done to you for being willing to take on this bird in need... Just go in with your eyes open! Good luck.

Ellie.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I have a friend bryan who has all kinds of birds, including IRN and a Macaw called Lizzy, he absolutely adores, but like already said they are alot of work. Their diet is even far more complex to keep balanced and tuned than an IRN and behavioural issues including plucking I believe are more prevalent, I found this all out just going to an eclectus parrot from IRN's, they have all kinds of sensitivities and even allergies to foods etc. toe tapping and wing flipping issues etc., so please read up on macaws and be prepared. Talk to as many owners as you can, maybe join a macaw dedicated group and really research the whole thing. Kudos for going into rescue though, i have done a few in my years, including rescue and re-homes. Best of Luck and keep us up to date with how it all goes.

Angie
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

enigma9888

Post by enigma9888 »

i had an african grey and bought 2 baby ringnecks..... the ringnecks bully the grey lol.... so i keep them seperate ... ive resorted to the fact that they'll never get along lol...... oh well! good luck!!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The other thing to be aware of when you get a macaw is that it will most likely outlive you so you need to have a succession plan and that person will ideally also have a strong role throughout their life.

Ellie.