PLEASE HELP, FAST!

Moderator: Mods

fladder

PLEASE HELP, FAST!

Post by fladder »

OMW! I just got such a fright! My 9 month old IRN sleeps in my room with me, but he usually goes to bed a bit earlier :) After watching a movie, I got in bed and was about to fall asleep when the weirdest thing happened.
My IRN went nuts! He was flying around his cage and jumping all over the place. I quickly jumped to check on him and when I opened his cage he practically flew into my arms :o My poor baby was so scared :(
I talked to him for awhile and then moved his cage to another room where he's also comfortable, he seemed reluctant to go back inside, but after awhile he settled down.
I feel so bad, and I don't get what happened :?: I didn't do anything different than usual and everything was quiet when he went berserk.
Please help! I feel so sorry for my baby!
pinkdevil

Re: PLEASE HELP, FAST!

Post by pinkdevil »

Some birds suffer from 'night fright' and go crazy in their cage, cockatiels are renowned for this. Maybe something scared him and as he could not see, fluttered around his cage in fright. Anything can trigger it from a mouse in the cage, shadows, or even if they fall of the perch in their sleep. I sometimes have to get up to my birds in the middle of the night and leave the light on for a few minutes until they settle back down. Some people even leave a very dull night light on so if the bird does panic, they can see a bit.
Glad to hear no damage was done to your bird.
fladder

Post by fladder »

Thank you so much! I was so worried about him. Our house is quite light, but I cover him up at night so the air con doesn't bother him. I moved him out of my room, so maybe now I can leave him open so he can see properly.
My dad inspected his cage this morning because we were afraid there might be a snake inside, but thankfully it was empty :)
I'll have to find a better place for him to sleep, because our Pionus is quite territorial and she doesn't like the fact that my bird is standing on her counter. I've already stopped her twice when I caught her trying to get to my bird. They're both closed now, but neither of them like it. :lol:
julie

Post by julie »

Its sounds like how my birds acted when our snake got out,we couldnt see where the snake was but the birds knew he was there.Its a good thing you were there to save him,that will definately be a bond strengthener.
fladder

Post by fladder »

He was definitely very glad to see me coming, he literally flew into my arms and hung there until we left the room. He was very sweet and cuddly after that.
This morning he only has eyes for me. My mom tried giving him attention, but he would have none of it, only has eyes for me :wink:
I'm so scared it will happen again and I won't be there. I hope he sleeps better tonight.
Also he seems to be biting his nails, any advice?
fladder

Post by fladder »

It happened again today. This time it was broad daylight and he was just sitting on his cage. I wasn't feeling well so I took a nap.
Next thing, he's going wild and screaming like mad and flying all over the place. When he landed his wings were spread and he was just sitting there. He only tucked them back in after I picked him up.
I have no idea whats going on? Please help!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm taking a stab in the dark here... but might your bird have thought there was something wrong with you and wanted you to wake up?

or perhaps there is something in your house that is scaring your bird? A lizard, a broom, who knows?

Ellie.
fladder

Post by fladder »

Hi Ellie. i think you may be right. That would explain why he only does it when I'm sleeping. I also think it might be some kind of bug thats bothering him.
I'm seriously considering taking him to a vet, because there are some things bothering me, I'll ask the vet what he thinks.
Thanx
Anri
bec

Post by bec »

panicing when their beloved pet people are sick is definitly possible
one time when larissa (rikus pet kid) was very sick she passed out in front of him he freaked screaming flying round the room and divebombing her on the advice of one of the ladies on here i talked to riku about what was going on
after i got her settled into bed i said to him
"larissa is very sick but if you settle down & let her sleep she will feel better when she wakes up & will play with you again"
with that he flew down to the end of her bed & sat there till she woke
another thing i thought of as soosn as i read this post was are there any spiders?
riku is a total arachnaphobe & will act just as you described if there is even a daddy longleggs in view of his cage
and i know this one sounds abit odd but do try it ask him whats scaring him he might actually look in the direction of the " horrible scary thing " your protecting him from
lutino

Post by lutino »

Hi,

The EXACT same thing happened to my bird, and i was beside myself, i didnt know what to do...until i saw a couple of mice running across the floor! They were climbing into her cage during the night for food.

Sarah
fladder

Post by fladder »

Thanks guys! I think there might be something in my room that bothers him, because he only does this when his cage is standing there.
I've moved him to the living room and he's very happy. He's a very jealous bird, and went berserk when my dad's bird walked across the counter and came to sit on my shoulder. He did this until my dad fetched the other bird.
As far as the protecting goes, I think that might also be whats bothering him. He almost went crazy on me yesterday cause I had fallen asleep in front of the TV.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated
Anri