Overwhelmed

Moderator: Mods

reslie

Overwhelmed

Post by reslie »

Overwhelmed.. I am so working hard at making Zazu comfortable and happy in our house and he is actually getting more nippy. If I put my hand near his cage he lunges at me. I know I have only had him for a week but it is a little disheartening that he wants to attack me at any opportunity.

I took him out of his cage yesterday and my oldest son actually touched/petted him for a couple seconds.. But I don't think Zazu was happy about it. I feel bad for him because he is such a pretty bird but he do NOT like me. I think the reason he isn't biting me as often is because I am not giving him the opportunity.
julie

Re: Overwhelmed

Post by julie »

I think you may need to be the one to give him some treats,something like a lolly or a chip (something naughty that no one else should be giving him).I have had my boy indie for almost 9 years and he still lunges sometimes when we go near his cage.Some people say you shouldnt acknowledge them when they do it and to just simply ignore the bird and come back later but to me that is giving them what they want and I put my hands behind my back and say to them oh you dont scare me and stuff like that,indie normally bows his head and pins his eyes at me and then I know I won and I can then pat him .But he is really tame.
ShirleyBird

Re: Overwhelmed

Post by ShirleyBird »

I have had mine for 3 mths and still can't handle them...they ARE making slow strides. A week ,I don't think is long enough for him to get adjusted. My advice( take it with a grain of salt, I'm no expert) sit by the cage and talk and offers treats, don't give eye contact...does he step up? Try on a stick first( 1 of mine will step up now constantly, other only when feels like it)..I KNOW its frustrating! All you want to do is just love it and it doesn't get it....have faith that in time he'll come around...go slow and don't push him into contact he's not ready for..Work on getting him removed from the cage area for any training(some birds get aggressive if they can even see the cage). Time is the most important and hardest ...Try and remember you have the next 2- something years to improve your relationship. Best of luck!
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg