HELP!!! Is this normal molting or plucking?

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

HELP!!! Is this normal molting or plucking?

Post by angeldc77 »

I just got a violet ringneck, and the breeder told me that it is going through its first molt and that sometimes the first time they molt real is real heavy. I have never seen a case like this and want to make sure that the bird is not plucking. The breeder told me that he will give me a refund if I am not satisfied, and I trust him as this is the fifth bird I have gotten from him. Please let me know what you guys think. I really do not want to deal with a bird that is plucking and for a guy who is short on cash this is a lot to spend on a hobby and not be satisfied. If you all think its normal for a first time molt then I will keep it, but my gut tells me something else. This is why I call on you guys for expert advice. Thanks in advance.
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... iolet2.jpg
rod038

Re: HELP!!! Is this normal molting or plucking?

Post by rod038 »

Normally when they go through their moult they drop there Tail Feathers too. Where abouts are you?, as birds moult at different times through out the world. In Australia now its breeding time and the moult will be in the new year around January.

I know that when my birds moult they go from looking great to looking terrible in a few days and you are sure something is wrong with them. Then after a few weeks they are back to normal.

How long has it been like that? You could tell the breeder you will wait a few weeks and see what happens.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Thanks, yes that is what I agrred on with the breeder. I just got the bird five days ago and have not noticed any positive or negative changes yet on appearance. I did find four small chest feathers on the ground underneath their cage yesterday, but I guess that could be normal. I just have never seen a bird get to the downy fluffy feathers when molting. I am in Florida and it is hot over hear so molting is normal this time of year, although most are almost done with their molt by this time. Since this bird hatched in February the breeder said it is a little behind the curve. So what you are saying in about two weeks or so the chest feathers should hopefully look a lot fuller.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Yes it only takes a few weeks although I once had a pair that took considerably longer. Was it like that when you bought it?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Yes this is how it looked when I got him/her. It will be one week tomorrow, so if I do not see a difference in the next eight days than it must be plucking, I guess. I would think that I should see at least a pattern change in the areas lacking feathers, as the old fall out and new grow in. I think if the area showing the fluffy downy feathers does not change in shape or location then the bird has an issue with those spots. Does that sound like a logical way of looking at it?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Yes thats what I would do. If its not plucking it could be another issue. Have you kept this bird quarantined from your other birds?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I found a single feather at the bottom of the cage the other day and it was a new feather that had not fully grown out of its pin. I fear this might be a definate sign of plucking :( . I do have this bird quaratined so that I can also keep a close eye on progress of molting and this is how I cam to find this one feather. Is it possible for a feather that is growing in to fall out for some reason other than plucking? Have any of you birds gotten to the downy fluffy feathers on the chest when molting?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I will attatch some photos for you to compare. I have not had a bird lose all its feathers to reveal the down like that. I have seen a Budgie like that once. Notice they have an overall scruffy appearance and dont look very happy.

Grey Cock during moult

Grey Hen During moult. Notice the tail as well. It will drop out.

Both birds after moult.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Angel excessive downy moult isn't normal. Especially at the rate your bird reflects. I think your gut feeling bears following. I recommend that an avian vet run some blood tests to clarify condition before you join him or her with other birds.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Thanks for all your help!!! I actually returned it to the breeder that I got it from and got my money back. Used the money to get a green cleartail male split to blue :) Cost me a few extra bucks but now I have a new line to play with. I will post some pics of the new addition on Friday.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

For the better I think. What country are you in. Cleartail prices in Australia have come right down.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Im in the U.S., paid $450 for him with his dna paperwork and closed legband.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

There still double or triple that here for a Young Blue, Green or Grey. Splits are about $250. Normal Violets are about $400 for a young one.