a few questions...

Moderator: Mods

lutino

a few questions...

Post by lutino »

Hi everyone,

I just have a few questions about my IRN. What does it mean when a bird struts around with its wings partially open, and then she/he starts clucking when i talk or touch it. Also, Jasper (dna female, i originally thought she was a male, hence the name) has been getting a grey sort of ring around her neck. She is a blue IRN...do blue females get a grey-ish ring? I know the males get a black/white one.
Lastly, she has been scratching around at the bottom of the cage alot lately...hope shes not bored :/

Thanks,

Sarah
Wessel Gordon

Re: a few questions...

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Sarah

How old is Jasper? If he/she is at the right age for a ring to develop the DNA sexing might have been wrong (there's a few posts elsewhere on the forum where the results were wrong). I also have a blue female that has a distinct ring of lighter blue that caused me to have her sexed twice (both results confirmed she's female) and she's sitting on a clutch of eggs at the moment so there's no doubt about her gender.

With regards to the strutting and clucking: that sounds like normal behavior for an IRN towards his/her chosen mate but the more experienced owners/breeders might be able to shed more light on it and on the fact that she's scratching.

Wessel
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

hmmmm interested, strutting is a male behaviour, but if she is an only bird that may be it, if the clucking and chirping, comes with a lowered body, slightly tipped back head and pinned eyes most definitely female, and yes my ble females have a distinct grey ring around their necks...

and well depending on her age, she may be trying to fix herself up a nest on the bottom of the cage, hence the scratching n shhuffling....
lutino

Post by lutino »

whoops...I thought i put her age. She is 2 &1/2 years old.
She probably is female, she tilts her head back and clucks like crazy!

Cool, thanks for all your opinions. :)
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Definately sounds like you have yourself a lovely little lady there...
lutino

Post by lutino »

haha, yes i think i have a lady! Quite the trouble maker though!
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

i have 10... i know ALL about trouble trust me! little terrors, all they want to do is chew everything up !