Worried about my ringneck

Moderator: Mods

wilykit

Worried about my ringneck

Post by wilykit »

I have an Indian Ringneck who is approx nearly 2 years old. Past few days he (I say he but I don't know the sex) has started to be really quiet and just sits at the bottom of his cage. He isn't tame and doesn't really like people but hasn't kicked up a fuss like he usually does if I go near him. My dog keeps going near him, and its like he can tell somethings up with my parrot?

He has started to get orange on the back of his head/neck and has now got bright orange around his eyes which he never had before.

He also sometimes sits and seems to shake, he just doesn't seem very happy.

Any suggestions?

pinkdevil

Re: Worried about my ringneck

Post by pinkdevil »

I would say if the change in behaviour is very noticeable then a quick trip to a vet might be in order. Birds try to hide illness as long as possible and when they DO show signs of being sick, it is usually quite serious. Is s/he off food at all? What colour is your bird? Is he/she loosing feathers like going through a molt (depending on where you are located of course)? But sitting on the bottom of the cage is a concern to me. :(
ellieelectrons

Re: Worried about my ringneck

Post by ellieelectrons »

I agree about taking him to a vet. You can also put a heat lamp on the bird to keep it warm. When a bird is sick, it's body temp drops so it needs extra help to keep warm. Make sure though that the bird can get close to the heat if it wants to but can also get away from it if it doesn't need it. If you don't gave a heat lamp use a normal lamp as it should emit some heat.

Best wishes.

Ellie.