a few questions

Moderator: Mods

fladder

a few questions

Post by fladder »

Hi.
My baby has some really sharp nails. I was wondering if you get something that slips over you arm to protect it. Long sleeve T-shirts aren't enough, his nails go right through an I don't want to use a towel cause it scares him.
Also any tips on what kind of games I can play with him, he's so incredibly clever and I'd love to keep him busy. :?:
is it possible to change his name? I didn't name him and his name is really confusing, i don't have to but it would be great.
Thanx :)
dean_harryman

Re: a few questions

Post by dean_harryman »

I get my Pakshis nails trimmed every 6 weeks at the vet, he doesn't seem to mind it, they only take the tiniest bit off the tip of his nails.

Doing trick training, foraging, and flight training should keep both of you busy for hours. there are lots of great videos on YouTube about training, and there is numerous topics here on foraging. I use foraging boxes for Pakshi, and he goes nuts trying to figure out how to open the cardboard, keeps him busy for hours.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I have a cement perch swing that my guys seem to love... that keeps their nails reasonably dull and I also have natural branches in the cage... If you have tools to cut the perches reasonably thick, that's helpful. We don't have many wood working type skills so our natural tree branches are a little too thin.

Ellie.
fladder

Post by fladder »

Thanx so much!
My dad's bird has natural tree branches in her cage so I'll ask him too cut a few extra next time. i'm looking to make him a play gym out of a guava branch.
Does anybody know if I can change his name?
IRN's are new to me so this is helping a lot!
He seems to preen permanently, why is that should I be worried? Could it me that he has something bothering him, and how do I teach him to like a bath? The other bird in the household loves being sprayed, but I haven't tried it on Fladder yet.

Thanx
Anri
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Some will preen a lot. Are there any smokers in the house?

I'm sure you can change her name especially if she doesn't respond to it yet.

Ellie.
fladder

Post by fladder »

No there aren't any smokers in the house. :)
Fladder seems to be responding well to the new name, every time I say it he'll cock his head to one side and listen to me.
He's getting really sweet, and my dad is looking for a suitable branch for his new play gym.
fladder

Post by fladder »

I felt so sorry for my baby today. It was his first time in a different cage(his traveling cage) and he was so scared! I had to take him to a vet to get his nails trimmed and he didn't like it one bit! He wasn't very happy about being handled like that. He was terrified on the ride home, but when we arrived he was so glad to be home. To him I was suddenly the best things since sliced bread :D He cuddled all afternoon and is still sitting as close to me as possible. He thinks because I cut his nails he gets to cut mine. He's already broken two off :roll:
Azure

Post by Azure »

fladder wrote:He thinks because I cut his nails he gets to cut mine. He's already broken two off :roll:
Ouch :shock:
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Gives meaning to the saying "an eye er a nail for a nail"
fladder

Post by fladder »

ja hahahahaha. He still bites my nails, as well as his own! It's so funny. My friends call him a nervous breakdown waiting to happen.
I also found the best way to keep him busy. I took his basket of toys and put it on top of his cage. He loves taking them out, one by one, and throwing them off his cage. After throwing one off he'll watch me to check my reaction and then throw the next one off! He thinks it's just hilarious watching his mom pick up all the toys :lol:

I need some other advice regarding wing clipping. My dad clips his bird's wing every now and then when she's flying to well. She's well trained so we don't worry about her flying away. She responds to my dad, and will call to him if she happens to end up outside. Unfortunately my IRN isn't as well behaved. I asked my dad to clip his wings, and he clipped them the same as his bird. It doesn't seem to work for Mielie though. He's still flying just as strong as before we clipped his wings. Any other advice?