rainbow lorrikeets

Moderator: Mods

julie

rainbow lorrikeets

Post by julie »

i was wondering if anyone has rainbow lorrikeets with their ringnecks.i was filling in time before work so i went to the pet shop to play with the tame ringnecks and this rainbow climbed up my arm and decided i was his.so today i took my fiancee in with me and he loves him too we are just not too sure how indie would be if we had another feathered friend in the house.he is only $180 and so gorgeous.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

IRN's are a territorial, JEALOUS bird. An IRN will run anyone or bird away from you although when they arent around you, they pay you no attention. Oooo contraier... they watch 'their person' constantly. Anyone comes close, they come a runnin'.

They arent particularly 'good' with any other bird, not even another IRN sometimes.

Most all of us have many kinds of birds, however to say they are 'good' with other types of birds would be feeding you a line. Tolerate would be a better word, at best.

Noone would leave an IRN alone to play with another bird.

Of course, you woulnt want to house them together.

"Good" for a ringneck is s/he allows the other bird to keep its eyes. Although my IRN plays with my 'tiel, it ALWAYS gets ugly eventually. Chief has alot of spirit, bless her heart, and wont back down.

Brave lil man, considering she stands not a snow balls chance in hell. But his lil head will be chicken plucking away. Its both cute and sad -giggle-

IRN's are so precise in their attacks. A 'tiel looks retarded when in attack mood because all they do is pluck/bite downwards like a chicken... not a very bright one at that. :wink:

That is when Baby stops being mean and looks at him like 'dude, what the hell are you doing, ya look stupid brah'. Anf fight ends.
~ Mikaela Sky

Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I handraise many lorikeets, they are a VERY demanding bird. They were born without indoor voices and squirt their poop up to 2 meters away. A ringneck will deal with anything, they are hard and can adapt but a lorikeet will not handle being a second bird, they want ALL of your attention ALL the time.

Lorikeets are very possesive, they pick one person and bond so much they even try to mate with them. They will become aggressive to anyone who goes near thier favoured person and canattack them viciously.

I had a musk and a scaly lorikeet here recently and as I had raised the they are very well behaved. They also had each other (caged together) to play with. Dats liked them and would play with them but if they saw me pick her up they would scream. Datsun picked up on that scream and thankfully since they have been gone I have not hears it.

Lorikeets are beautiful, lovely birds and if you work from home or have endless time to spend with it and love to prepare slop which he will immediately flick all over your floors and walls and poop in a 2m radius around his cage then go for it but be warned your ringneck and lorikeet will fight for your attention as a lori can never get enough and they may never get along.
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

There is a more demanding bird than the IRN... I learn something new everyday.

The poop thing is INTOLERABLE. Not even I have the heart to take that on.

Baby has never had runny poo, thought just popped in my head... sorry. :oops:
~ Mikaela Sky

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I have to say my best friend has a lorry and he isn't a one person bird and he does not need as much attention as a ringneck does. He has never mentioned about the poo going every where although all birds are different. Also when he came over my IRN started to bite me and got EXTREAMLY Jealous.
julie

Post by julie »

this baby lorrikeet did chase the other birds away so i dont think indie would like being anywhere near it.thanks for the info though muchly appreciated.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

IRNs may be chased a time or two but thats about it.

The you gonna GET chased and it aint gonna be pretty.
~ Mikaela Sky

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

That is far too much for a Rainbow anyway, you should only pay about $60 for a h/r baby
Jade

Post by Jade »

My son wants a lorikeet. we saw them for sale at pet city for $300.00 each. in the paper you are lucky if you can get them under $150 at the moment.

My dog found a baby one a few years back and i raised her. Unfortunately she died from some poisoned bottlebrush flowers.
julie

Post by julie »

i thought $180 was reasonable considering i live in wagga and it is from the pet shop.
Melika

Post by Melika »

goldie's lorikeet- quiet voices. Look them up just for kicks if you want. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

lots of breeders around vic that sell baby handraised for around $120
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julies

Post by julies »

I have a irn and a lorrie, they get on fine,i do still give them their own time with me also, My lorry has bonded with everyone in the family,
My irn only really likes me and my hubby, she will tolerate the kids when she fills up to it.We also have a teil inside too, they all get on very well.
Just remember that lorries do need alot of attention just like a irn.
ejw829

Post by ejw829 »

Melika wrote:goldie's lorikeet- quiet voices. Look them up just for kicks if you want. :)

Oh! I got to handle one at Bird Paradise here in NJ. SO ADORABLE! They are the tiniest, most exquisite birds that I've ever seen. I've read good things about Goldie's.

To those with experience handling/raising lories/lorikeets - do the Goldie's have the tendency to throw their poo up to 2m?

-e-
-e-
Eliza