Baffle cage

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

Baffle cage

Post by ellieelectrons »

I've just broken my second baffle cage and was wondering if there are different brands in them. Are some more sturdy than others. My current one is (I think) about 7 months old. I use it everyday. The thread is worn. Two days in a row now the cage has come crashing down in the middle of the day, thankfully not injuring my birds. I will have to get a new one but they're expensive and I'd like some brand advice first. When I get my new one I'll be really gentle with it!

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Re: Baffle cage

Post by ellieelectrons »

Can I rephrase... Do you have a baffle cage? See
http://www.onlinepetcart.com.au/bird-to ... t-toy.html
if you are not sure what a baffle cage is.

If you do, have you had any problems with it?
If you do have one, where did you get it from?

I'm about to go away for a couple of weeks and want to get a new one before I go for the people who will be looking after our little guys, so would appreciate anything you have to offer on the subject.

Ellie.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I use this kind: http://www.amazon.com/JW-Pet-Company-Ac ... B0010Q74AM

It doesn't have an opening or closing, you have to jam the food through the holes. So far I haven't had any problems with it, Hane doesn't seem to want to destroy it either. :)
I got it from a local pet store.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
julie

Post by julie »

Thats the first time i have heard of these. Where is the thread on them that is getting worn?
julie

Post by julie »

Ariahna wrote:Ellie, I am glad you made your additional post because I had no idea what you meant by "baffle cage." :)

Here in the US they are called "foraging cages" or something similar: http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/PARADISE ... LARGE.html

The one I bought is tied shut with a leather strip/rope and it has held up really nice. Maybe you could buy some thin leather cord and use that instead of replacing the cage itself?
Thats what I was thinking but if ellies birds are like mine they would specifically target the thread parts and i would need to use some thin chain or something that isnt so tempting to take apart.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks all. I managed to find a solution.

I went for a trip to one of our local nuts and bolts shops called Porters Industrial: http://www.portersindustrial.com.au/ and the guy was amazingly helpful. I took the baffle cage with me and we talked through all manner of solutions. He said that the problem was that both the shaft and the nut were both worn and that's why I'd put it in the cage in the morning and by the afternoon it would come crashing to the floor. He sold me $4 worth of bits and pieces, some for the baffle cage and some for the bottoms of my fruit kebobs (does anyone else's birds delight in pulling these off and losing them!). Although the new nut fit the shaft, it meant I would have to find a new way to hang the baffle cage from the top of the bird's cage... He didn't have any stainless steel chain, so that was next on my list to source. He then suggested I go next door and meet someone called Jack...

So I went next door to the mower store... and to my absolute delight, I got to meet "Jack" and Steve. Jack is a 3 year old Macaw and Steve, his owner brings him to work every day where Jack happily hangs out at the back of the store. Jack loves people and was happy sitting on my arm. He was sooooo gorgeous! I was surprised how heavy he was. I'm used to ringies sitting on me. Jack weighs about a kilo. It's amazing, these guys have huge beaks but Jack only used it to "mouth" me and never caused any pain at all... What a lovely bird.

Steve also had a look at my baffle cage and found a nut that could fit over the top of the existing nut and he gave it to me for free... It's working really well, so I'm very happy. No need to get more chain or anything... It's fantastic!

Thank you all again for your help. Reading back on my original message I realise it didn't make a lot of sense, so I appreciate you taking the time to try and decipher what it was all about!

Birds really can bring people together!

Ellie.
julie

Post by julie »

Glad it worked out 8) mine are typical males- they take everything apart,even if its just working out how to get the kebob sticks off the cage and throwing it on the ground they will do it.Your going to go and break a lawn mower now just so you can go back and see jack arent you.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good idea - unfortunately we don't own a lawn mower! :)

Ellie.