Soooooo scared for him :-*(

Moderator: Mods

tlouiselle

Soooooo scared for him :-*(

Post by tlouiselle »

Our Sky is only 11 weeks old. I work from home so he is never in his cage and therefore not very happy when he has to sit in it during the day. I have family visiting and we were out all day yesterday. When we came home we had discovered that one of the food dish doors had not been properly latched. It opens upwards on a hinge. Sky had pushed it open and had his head stuck in the hanging door. He could not pull his head back in. I have no idea how long he had to sit like this. He has been hanging his head low since then. I feel so terrible, he would not let me put him down so I cuddled him until 1 last night.

I don't know what to do. My instinct is to take him to the vet. However, he does bob his head for food. He is also eatting, drinking, moving around, and preening the feathers on his belly. He is acting normal today other than holding his head down. He will let us lift his head and rest on our fingers while he falls asleep. Last night he would not let me put him down. Today he has been content to do his usual thing. I am praying that his neck is just weak and sore with no permanent injury... If I do not see any progress by tomorrow I am taking him into the vet.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or have any advice? I feel like the worst bird mom.
ShirleyBird

Re: Soooooo scared for him :-*(

Post by ShirleyBird »

I just had to reply, sorry....I'm a new bird owner, so I can't fully answer. I think if any doubt a vet is always a good answer. With that said, my reason for the reply. Things happen, to birds, to people, it has no reflection on if ur a good " bird mom", it wasn't intentional. Obviously you love your bird or you wouldn't have cared enough to post. Don't be too hard on yourself. I hope your little one is feeling better soon.
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg
tlouiselle

Post by tlouiselle »

Aww thank you, you are so sweet. He is definately feeling better. He is very active and eatting. I talked to a bird breeder that I know and she said he was smart to sit there and wait for us to come home to free him. Hopefully he learned and will not go near there again. I don't like having the pieces on cage but without them there are huge holes for him to escape. I will probably just get a new cage to not risk anything.

As for the vet, he is definately feeling better...if he were not feeling better, playing, being active, eatting, drinking, and moving his head around I would have rushed him in ASAP. I did call .and talk to the vet though. He said to keep an eye on him since he is acting ok and at the moment it sounds like he is a lucky little bird. He said if he gets worse instead of better then to bring him in. This made me feel much better.

Thank you so much for your post. You are so kind. :D
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

Thank you for the complimet...but I'm just being truthful. I'm SO glad things are better! Look online for a used cage...you can find them cheaper there. As with anything, just be careful. Good luck and enjoy your baby! :D
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:cry: Poor lil Sky. Kind words from Shirley. Please tell us how he is now? Did you go to the vet? My male once had his head stuck in a wooden toy ring that was on his hanging bell toy , he was only a baby too my dad had to cut the ring off. My female once tried to get into a slightly open kitchen drawer but got her head stuck because the gap wasnt wide enough, i just thought she was playing i felt so terrible! But no matter how safe we think things are, accidents happen. So dont beat yourself up over it. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
tlouiselle

Post by tlouiselle »

Sky is all better now :-) Thank you for your kind words you guys. I was going to take him to the vet, had an appointment but he had amazing progress each day. He is back to being his old self...the only thing is we had to take some steps back from weaning off of his formula. He was down to one feeding a day and only taking two bites and playing with it. After his injury he was not eatting enough to he went back to formula. NOW he is taking one feeding a day (before bed) and he eats the whole amount that I make. He is hoovering it and not playing with it.