Feather Loss Issue

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

Feather Loss Issue

Post by JimHcctx »

I have a male lutino ringneck, somwhere over 5 years old. A good producer who two years ago almost died, lost most all his feathers and had to be tube fed and given baytril antibiotics. The bird was near death at the time and I had loast several others that year.

Now when he molts, all his tail feathers and several primaries fall out at the same time leaving him stumpy and me unnerved.

I have been toying with the idea of waiting 6 months and pulling some of the tail feathers out on purpose just to see if that would change the tail cycle from loosing every one of them or not.

Is this something I can do? Has anyone ever had a bird that lost every tail feather at once?

thanks
Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Melika

Re: Feather Loss Issue

Post by Melika »

My sister's bird was a hard moulter. He would have giant great big bald spots full of tiny pin feathers lol. It was just how he was. If the new feathers are coming in just fine, I don't see the problem. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
dog_glenn123

Re: Feather Loss Issue

Post by dog_glenn123 »

I have a male that does the same thing,

He has a similar story to your bird almost dieng etc.

He looses all his tails faethers in a week and the others soon after looks silly and a he cant fly for about a month.

Nothing wrong with him though.

Dont know about pulling feathers out though, dont think it will change anything.

Thanks Glenn