VERY WORRIED PLS HELP!!

Moderator: Mods

sunny lutino

VERY WORRIED PLS HELP!!

Post by sunny lutino »

Hey,

I have a 6 week old IRN and he was normal ie. chirping normally and today I woke up to a muffled chirp. Is that normal for a chirp to sound muffled every now and then? Then, I went on youtube and made him listen to an IRN who was talking and he chirped normally and continued normally during the day. Now, at night before going to bed, he produced the same muffled chirp. Is something wrong? It sounds like he is chirping from the insides of his throat. Also, these last 2 days he has been bobbing his head continuously. Pls help as I'm very worried :(

Thanks.
Lea.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: VERY WORRIED PLS HELP!!

Post by ringneck »

Hey Sunny Lutino,

Honestly, I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. At six weeks old your baby will continue to make muffled chirps and bob his head. This is very typical at six weeks. Don’t worry—believe me you’re gunna wish you had muffled chirps a few months from now ;o).

Also, if you feel your bird is sick, take him to a vet ASAP. Birds are very good at hiding an illness.

Also, is your baby weaned? Six weeks is really early. Hope to hear back from you!

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
sunny lutino

Post by sunny lutino »

Hey,

Thanks for replying. I was worried about the muffled chirps because he was chirping ok before at other times.

I don't think if he is sick. However I searched websites and did not find any avian vets in Malta. :( So, I hope that a normal vet would be ok to take him to if he is sick.

Also, no, Sunny is not weaned, however he's showing great interest in biting things and I thought about starting giving him some seeds or fruit but I don't know if it's too early. From a few days ago, he refused his formula if it was watery, and now is eating it with very few water. However is it normal for them not to drink? Because I tried to give him water to make up for the lost part of water in the formula, but he just washed his beak in it and went away.

At what age would it be good to wean him? And at what age do they start the bluffing period? Because sometimes he fluffs his feathers up and seems inflated, but I don't know if it is because he's starting that period.

Thanks a lot.
Lea.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Bobbing is normal behaviour for unweaned IRNs. I'll leave the people who have experience with hand raising to answer your other questions.

Ellie.
tlouiselle

Post by tlouiselle »

Hi There,

You can definately start to give him seeds, fruits, and vegetables to explore. Sky's favorite are apples. He took to those right away. He also loves grapes and strawberries. One of the first things that I fed him while he was on formula (he is finally down to hardly one feeding a day...YAY) is sweet potato mash. I cooked sweet potatos, mashed them up, then put them in ice cube trays in the freezer. Each day I would take one out and pop it in the microwave (make sure it is not too hot when you give it to him), and he LOVED it. It is mushy and warm like their formula so they take to it fast. I also have a frozen veggie mix that I heat up and give him too :-)

Sky is 10 weeks old and just starting to show interest on water. I still do not see him drink very often though. The only time I can get him to drink water is when he is on the top of the shower while I am showering. He makes his sweet chirp and bobs his head to let me know he is thirsty. He loves to drink the droplets from my fingers. I am guessing it is because the water is warmer (maybe because his formula is warmer). I have tried to give him water that is cold and he refuses it. So maybe start with warm droplets from your fingers???

Best of luck :-)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

My 5 chicks are 4.5 almost 5 weeks and are just starting to make chatter it often sounds muffled. Unweaned babies bob their heads for food. It means he is hungry. Are you hand rearing him? 6 weeks is very young. Is he weaned now? :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year