Both a Breeder & Pet

Moderator: Mods

RicksterBoy

Both a Breeder & Pet

Post by RicksterBoy »

HI!
Do you agree with this statement, which was referring to IRN's, "(pets can also be breeders and pets again)"?
Azure

Re: Both a Breeder & Pet

Post by Azure »

it is possible to be both and cases are not rare but also not common...
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

hi there,

I have 8 ringnecks, and 6 are indoor birds, 4 are tame pets, 2 are semi wild, (3 pairs), and then i have one outdoor,
completely wild pair...

So there you go, both, depending how you go about it.
RicksterBoy

Post by RicksterBoy »

THANKS!

It is possible to have pets, that are handled often, that will then breed, and return to you after breeding season?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I think it is very possible! My male was my tame companion pet for much of his life, he was hand raised and the most affectionate funny lil bird, hes a big part of my family.. when he was 6 i got him a baby friend.. she ended up being female and he fell in love. He still gives me glimmers of affection.. like lately his 'wife' has been in the nest.. he must get lonely without her, he feeds her then it just looks like he doesnt know what else to do with his time haha.. because he just wants to be around me and follow me everywhere hehe. I dont think he knows what to do with himself when shes busy sitting on eggs! He still looks for attention from us humans, especially loves it when my sister comes to visit! Then hes all kisses and cuddles! I would say hes still tame, but more 'occupied' when around my female. He will protect her viciously if I dare go near her when its breeding season. She comes 1st to him and thats okay by me. I know his boundries. Im happy to see him happy with his 'wife'. Last year was his 1st time as a daddy! Its a proud feeling when your pet becomes a father at 10 years old hehe.
My female was an avary baby. I managed to get her somewhat tame (id say semi tame) she would shower with me, we'd share my food, nap on my shoulder occasionally etc.. but she would never let me pet her. Only I am allowed to handle her, she doesnt like anyone but me. Surprisingly, being an avary bird, she does not bite! My male however, you'd expect as being a tame pet, bites hard!
When its not breeding season they go back to their normal selves. Breeding season I just let them be.
So I can say that yes it is possible BUT I know they would rather be spending their time together than with me. That was the adjustment for me. Letting parts of Jibby (my male) go and not expecting him to be the same bird as he was when it was just he and myself. :wink:
But it helps if you dont expect them to be tame once they start breeding. My 2 are certainly not the same birds they were before. I would not recommend breeding a pet if someone still want their pet as is, a companion. If we can accept the change, there should be no problems.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
RicksterBoy

Post by RicksterBoy »

What a fantastic reply. Thank you, so very much, for taking the time to share such helpful information. You gave me a clear picture. That definitely changes my goal, so to speak and I am thrilled. I realize there are no guarantees, as every living creatures has their own individual personalities, but similar tendencies among breeds may be inherent. This is really great news to me. Thank you again, I look forward to reading more about you and your fids ~
RicksterBoy

Post by RicksterBoy »

I did it today! I had planned on adopting a baby boy, but instead I added a baby girl too!!!
I get to pick them up at the end of July - I am in heaven!!!

Your comment truly made a difference and I am so grateful!
THANKS!
PS- Ill be getting pictures over this time, so as I do I'll post them :)