Picking Up My Baby In A Few Weeks, New To This ...!

Moderator: Mods

dougaltmr

Picking Up My Baby In A Few Weeks, New To This ...!

Post by dougaltmr »

Hi, I am new to all this so would love some hints & tips!
I have very carefully chosen an Indian Ringneck as my first bird & am very excited to pick her up! This website has actually made me decide on one for sure so I am very thankful for it.
Firstly my baby is a green hen, apparently, and will be 14weeks when we pick her up :)
Please tell me if I have done the correct things & what I can do to make her settle in, any tips you may have found that worked with your own etc
I am buying a very large cage, suitable for an African Grey, so think it should be plently big enough it's 88 x 77 x 157 cm
It will have wodden perches & wooden toys with the odd brightly coloured one to add interest
Going to feed her a diet of pellet, seed & fresh fruit/veg on various days so she has variety
I will follow all the tips I have read on here as there are so many.
Do you think 14weeks is a good age to get a bird? & Is it highly likely she will become tame with me being young & of course me giving her plenty of attention?
Thanks!
Stace
Dare2b

Re: Picking Up My Baby In A Few Weeks, New To This ...!

Post by Dare2b »

Is she handraised?

If she isnt handraised you may have some difficulty in taming her. She will be very nippy and scared.

If she is handraised properly you shouldnt have any problems!
dougaltmr

Post by dougaltmr »

Ive just found out she is not hand raised, she was born in an aivary & is parent raised.
I am aware this will be quite tricky, But I am certainly up for the challange.
Any tips anyone can give me in taming a parent raised bird? Thanks!
myrka2004

Post by myrka2004 »

My Rio came to me when he was 8 weeks old-and just weaned and it was very easy to tame him. My breeder told that he take him every day, so he was not afraid of arms as it was.
So, I desided then bought a companion girl IRN from my breeder, but she was 10 weeks 2 weeks after the weaned period and as Dare2b told there She will be very nippy and scared. The breader also told that he pick up her every day... so seems there 1.5 months later she still afraid ... but "step up" on my arm and I feel as she shakes, that is what she know me 2 months she still afraid.
So my decision , I better take bird when he/she just weaned as 8 weeks- and then she or he became a good friend to you. Then the birds grows and become a wild, and if the breeder pick up baby bird not make any sence then, because you new to your bird and he or she don't know you yet if she/ or he sit with other birds in one cage and wait for when they be sold out, they become there aggressive and wild.