To clip or not to Clip! The big question...

Moderator: Mods

SCB -SA

To clip or not to Clip! The big question...

Post by SCB -SA »

Okay now i know this topic brings for heated debated and arguements, let keep it friendly respect each other decisions,
and on a human level share thought and feeling on this.

okay big question : TO CLIP OR NOT TO CLIP!!

Reasons why we should, and why we shouldnt...

I used to clip all my birds wings, and now I dont... I only clip problematic birds wings every now and then when
they get out of hand.

I used to be a firm beliber in clipping wings... Until one day i saw my turq male and pied female strech their wings out,
and saw the beautiful colouring on their flights....

And my poor Tiny baby girl who has a bad leg from it being splayed when she was little, with a bad leg and no wings she
was really battling, now her wings are growing back she has some independance...

So what is the real reason behind our choices?
Safety for them? From getting lost, flying away?
Possibly getting hurt?
What is it?
What motivetes you guys to clip or not to clip?

Thanks,
And again, lets keep it friendly and rational...
dog_glenn123

Re: To clip or not to Clip! The big question...

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Here mine but i never clip and never will!!! This is my opinion not having a go at you or anone else.

So what is the real reason behind our choices? There birds they fly!! pretty easy.
Safety for them? from what would be my question back.
From getting lost, if you are a good bird keeper and concentrate they should never get lost.
flying away? Thats what they do fly there birds :mrgreen:
Possibly getting hurt? Again carefull bird owners birds dont get hurt.
What is it?
What motivetes you guys to clip or not to clip? I like to keeps birds as pets/hobby but emagine yourself with your arms cut off how annoyed/ frustrated would you be!!!

Sometimes you just need to think about things from your own life.

Again my opinion and not having a go at you or anyone else that clips.
But i do also think that it is away to control an animal that is already controlled by not being free in the wild.

Ta Glenn
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i have cliped my conures and my IRNs wings once, not all the flight feathers though i only did 3.
i did this because they kept flying into thing so i made it safer for them, they learnt how not to hit things while flying slower and now they are both fully flighted.

i had a budgie who only had one eye and i always kept his wings cliped, he could fly but slow enough for him to be able to see where he was going
imdnt

Post by imdnt »

With Tango and Bravo we don't clip the wings since they're tame but with Alpha we had to since he would fly into the window since he's aviary raised so for us, it was a safety issue.

Once Alpha's been tamed, we'll let him grow his flight feathers back to enjoy his mastery of flight :)