Taking your bird outside

Moderator: Mods

courty (:

Taking your bird outside

Post by courty (: »

i always see amazing photos people have taken of their birds outside exploring and it always makes me want to take Indy outside and just let her explore and maybe get some nice photos too. but i always worry that it might be hard to get her back inside. she is only semi tame and she is still fairly terrified of hands but her wings are clipped so she wouldnt be able to fly away. when do you know if you can take your bird outside?
Shane7285

Re: Taking your bird outside

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Courty

I think it depends on each owner. I know some people don't take their birds outside as they don't want to risk them flying away, others are a bit more relaxed.

Based on your information, I would not recommend taking your bird outside, seen as you say she is only semi-tame and fairly terrified of hands it would mean you chasing her around trying to catch her which is quite stressful for the bird. Also, being clipped doesn't mean they can't fly, all it takes is a gust of wind and it can push them higher.

I think personally I would wait till your bird is no longer scared of your hands and fully tame if you want to do it, but keep in mind there is still the chance the bird could fly away.

Regards

Shane
julie

Post by julie »

i wouldnt reccomend taking indy outside either. I almost forgot pinky was on my shoulder as i walked out the door yesterday :oops: im so used to him being on me i just about walked straight out.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I would love to take my guys outside but after a couple of close calls with wing-clipped Janey I won't do it any more (unless I ever manage to flightsuit train them). She would get spooked really easily and try to fly away. Our yard is very steep. One day she ended up in a tree at the bottom of our property.... another time she almost landed in our water feature.

Ellie.
courty (:

Post by courty (: »

yeah thanks for the advice (: ive decided to just buy another cage but this one will just be for outside so i can sit out there with her and not have to worry bout her getting away