is my girl a boy?

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

is my girl a boy?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Ok, I finally got my camera out and took some pics. The photos aren't the best, I think I need to buy a new camera... but they'll have to do for now.

Tell me, do you think my little girl is a little boy? Break it to me gently :)
DSCF0001.jpg
DSCF0001.jpg (16.28 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
DSCF0040.jpg
DSCF0040.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
DSCF0042.jpg
DSCF0051.jpg
DSCF0051.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
DSCF0052.jpg
DSCF0052.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
DSCF0053.jpg
DSCF0053.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 2346 times

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Re: is my girl a boy?

Post by pinkdevil »

I'm going to have a guess and say...........

Pink booties for a girl. :lol:

I really have no idea though. :) Are you going to have a dna test done or wait?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

She had a DNA test done before we bought her... and she is supposed to be a girl.... just our vet said he thought she might be a he.

I should have also said that she is 2.5 years old. Turns 3 in August.

It's so weird how thinking your bird is of a particular gender makes you think of them in a certain way... I will have to retrain my thinking if she turns out to be a he. :)

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Being almost 3 and no black ring, I would say the DNA was correct.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The ring is darker than it looks in the pictures but is certainly not black like the bird in your profile pic. I need a better camera.

The ring does seem to be getting darker... although I know you said, it doesn't "get darker"... they just grow black feathers one day.

Thanks Pink.

Ellie.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Ellie

I still think female. I will try and get a photo of Nemo for you so you can compare if you like.

Regards

Shane
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks Shane. Can't wait to see an updated pic of Nemo. Is his ring showing through now?

Sounds like my vet commenting that he thought she might be a boy caused me a whole lot of inner turmoil for nothing! :x :lol: .... and yes, I admit, I must be a very strange person for that to cause me turmoil!

Ellie.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

hi ellie,

my blue girl, iggy, is similar and we thought she might have been a young boy when we first got her, due to the "partial ring" but id have to put my guess on a female too.

i'd say janey can stay a janey :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Woohoo!

Ellie
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

CONGRATULATIONS IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Most def a girl, i have 2 mature blue female myself, and well, thats just how they look when they older. all my males got their black ring feathers at 18months, so being over 2 i would have to say girl girl girl!!! :shock:
kaz786

Post by kaz786 »

hey ellie i just like to know i know that my yellow mutation indian ringneck is a girl and wondering can they talk and are there fairly easily tame.........because i only mostly see boys talking not girls sooo please can you give me tips on talking e.t.c e.g what first word thx you have brill advice :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Kaz

I'm no expert on getting them to talk. Janey says several words but hasn't learnt any new ones in a while. Charlie seems to have a bigger range of sounds than Janey so when he speaks they are a little clearer.

Janey says, "Janey" (and Charlie says that too). She also says, "Wotchyadoin", "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful bird".... I think that's all she says. They also have a variety of whistles.

Janey learnt her first words when we went on holidays for a week and left them at my father-in-laws.... that was where she learnt to wolf whistle and say "beautiful, beautiful bird".

My husband is better at teaching them her to talk than me. I'm more interested in tricks. He gets her on his hand and starts whispering to her and then starts saying the same phrase over and over again. Janey goes into this mesmeric/hypnotic type state and just sits there and listens. Also, when he goes by their cage, he will repeat the phrase he is trying to teach them. We learnt by accident that they pick up on context. For example, when hubby was teaching Janey to say, "Wotchyadoin", he would preface it with "hey Janey!" and then say "Wotchyadoin".... now, if she's in the mood and we say "Hey Janey!" she will answer with "Wotchyadoin". Charlie also does this... he learnt it from Janey and then refined the words.

I notice that Barbara Heidenrich has just released a resource (available for purchase) on how to teach your bird to talk. I don't own that one but all of the videos I have purchased from her previously have been really good. She recently held a best talking parrot contest. This is my fav entry:
http://www.besttalkingparrot.com/index. ... deo_id=168 (make sure you watch it until the end).

Sorry for the long post... that's what happens when I get talking!

Ellie.