What does the ID ring around the foot mean?

Moderator: Mods

Marika

What does the ID ring around the foot mean?

Post by Marika »

Hi, I am temporarily taking care of a blue indian ringneck that was found in Burnside/Nambour area of the Sunshine Coast (Australia). So far the owner of the bird hasn't been located. I have noticed that there's a ring around the foot with some kind of number on it. I don't know exactly what it says as the bird has been stressed out enough today & I don't what to add to this anymore for today. ( I plan to try to get a closer look tomorrow.)

Does anyone know if this is something a vet or a breeder puts on the bird? Or any clues as to if this could help me locate the owner?
ellieelectrons

Re: What does the ID ring around the foot mean?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Marika wrote:Does anyone know if this is something a vet or a breeder puts on the bird? Or any clues as to if this could help me locate the owner?
The breeder puts this on the bird. I think it will have something that reveals the year of hatching and a breeder will definitely record the number on the ring.

I am from the Sunshine Coast too and will check the number on my blue IRNs foot. We can compare to see if there are any similarities. If there are, it may have come from the same breeder as my bird.

Did you see that someone on this forum said that they lost a blue IRN in the Nambour area a week or so ago. Was this bird not their bird?

Ellie.