Letting Milo fly around the house?

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

Letting Milo fly around the house?

Post by mickpmc »

I want to let him out to fly around free but I still have to tame him at the same time.
1 of his wings are cut but I don't agree while my parents do.
I don't think I should let him out to fly around yet. I have been taking him out and holding his wings so he can't
fly around. I put him close to me and pat him.
How many times a day should I take him out. I'm really new to this so I'm not too good.
I really need to know when to take him out. 2 times a day?
I need to know if I can let him go around free or I should tame him first?
Please help

-Mike

Milo...Boy...Buddy
ellieelectrons

Re: Letting Milo fly around the house?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Mick
mickpmc wrote:1 of his wings are cut but I don't agree while my parents do.
By cut, I presume you mean clipped? From what I can gather the current train of thought on this is that if you are going to clip their wings, both wings should be clipped. Our vet did a long clip so they can both fly reasonably well... they can fly a little bit up, but not enough to fly and land on the fridge or onto our ceiling fans.
mickpmc wrote:I don't think I should let him out to fly around yet. I have been taking him out and holding his wings so he can't
fly around. I put him close to me and pat him.
It sounds like you are doing ok if your bird will let you hold him close to you and pat you. I've never "held" my birds wings, just be sure you're not hurting him... although I'm sure you wouldn't do that.
mickpmc wrote:How many times a day should I take him out. I'm really new to this so I'm not too good.
It's not just about the number of times a day it's also about what they do in that time. Just spend as much time with your bird as you can without neglecting other important things in your life.

With mine, I take them out once in the morning and once in the afternoon just about every day. They know to expect this and it forms a routine with them. On the odd occasion, we can't do this because we're not home... but we make every effort to do so. I may also take them out one or two more times but not always.

Most mornings, I'd say they are probably out for at least two hours.... although they've been out for three and a half hours this morning! I take them into the shower with me and that gives them something else to do in the mornings. They like to explore different parts of the house.

Afternoons it would be probably about 2 hours again.... and as I said, sometimes I will get them out during the day too.

I always interact with them during this time but not constantly. For example, in the mornings, I'm getting their food ready and getting myself ready for the day and quite often in the afternoon I will watch TV with them or prepare dinner. It's good to have an out-of-cage play area for them. Do you have something like this? I also fit in training time most days (usually in the afternoon).
mickpmc wrote:I need to know if I can let him go around free or I should tame him first?
My opinion is I think you can do both. Personally, I don't let my birds go free in my house much without supervision. Firstly, because I'm scared they'll electrocute themselves or get themselves into some sort of trouble (I'm paranoid about them jumping in the toilet, although they have never shown the slightest bit of interest in it!). I'm also scared that if we don't know they're on the floor we'll accidentally step on them.

Especially when they are young and getting to know you, the more time you can spend with them the better... and even when they're in the cage, you can still spend time with them giving them treats through the cage bars, talking to them, etc. They quite like observing what you do.

Best wishes Mick!

Ellie.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Im a big fan of wing clipping but do both, just one wing clip puts them off balance. keep your training sessions to about 10 minutes 4 times a day. you've heard the saying fight or flight, it will be much harder (not impossiable) to train a full flighted bird.

Hope this helps :)

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
delboy

Post by delboy »

only one wing clipped can mess him up later on cos he wont of been able to get balance with the one an when he does get use to it he has 2 i think u should clip the other an let him out 2 to 3 times dailey if u can only if its short peroids like 10 to 20 min let him out wot harm can it do :lol: its only a parrot :wink:
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Its just a bird? what kind of a comment is that!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

But moving on,

Yes it is better to clip both wings, as only having one clipped puts them off balance and according to my vet, increeases the risk of them breaking or damaging their delicate breastbone when they crash land.

As for the debate as to whether to clip or not, big topic for controversy on here, but ultimately it is everyone to their own.
Personally, I do not clip my breeding birds wings, but i do clip my indoor pets wings, as it makes them easier to handle and pet, rather than spending all their time flying around and eating my ceiling boards, my birds have free reign to hop all over my couch, lounge and special bird stand.

My one aviry bird that became an indoor pet was alot easier to tame after he had his wings clipped, and spent about 10 min with him at a time when i had a chance morning and afternoon/evening.

Sorry this is so long!