Lack of tail feathers

Moderator: Mods

butala

Lack of tail feathers

Post by butala »

Indian Ring Necks are recently accepted as part of the wildlife community south of London in the UK.
In mid July I took in a two week (approx) orphaned chick.
I syringe fed it Kaytee and weened it on to Orlux Gold patee at about 12 weeks.
It's now fully weened. It's flights are developing nicely, but there's no sign of a tail developing.
Is this unusual? When does the tail usually develop?
The other odd thing is that it has a very dull beak. Nothing like the bright red that would be expected.
Is it possibly a runt that was rejected by it's parents?
I'll be grateful for any advice.
333greenbean333

Re: Lack of tail feathers

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
There should be a tail developing by now. If possible could you post a pic?
thanks, David :D
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
butala

Post by butala »

Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. I enclose a couple of pix – one with motion blur.
Hope they help.
Regards,
Alan
Attachments
BabyKeet.jpg
BabyKeet.jpg (276.44 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
BabyKeet2.jpg
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

That bird looks very, very sick :(
please take it to an averian vet :!:
333greenbean333

Hi,
I am going to agree with sheena
its probably lacking in some sort of nutrient.
so check the bird out with your local avian vet.
Hope this helps,
David :D
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
butala

Post by butala »

Thanks to you both.
butala

Post by butala »

Thanks again.
Your opinions have left me with a nasty sinking feeling and my last response was out of shock.
Naturally I'll get professional advice.
The odd thing is that the bird is very lively. It chats a lot. Has a great appetite. Exercises its wing, runs around and plays with its toy. If it is sick it's deceptively on top form.
333greenbean333

No problem
glad to help :D
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

It looks a bit odd to be a Indian ringneck? Is it not an african ringneck? even the green colour is not that of a normal green indian ringneck?

butala - i am merely commenting and asking, i dont know.
to everyone else - could the above be possible?
Melika

Post by Melika »

SCB -SA wrote:It looks a bit odd to be a Indian ringneck? Is it not an african ringneck? even the green colour is not that of a normal green indian ringneck?

butala - i am merely commenting and asking, i dont know.
to everyone else - could the above be possible?
This was my thought. Something about it seems... off; even the beak colour. Is that a bare eye ring? Maybe it's a conure? My mind leaped to young blue-crowned?
But then again, in the second pic, isn't that a faint green ring? With the colour changes through pictures and all the stress bars it would be hard to tell. Time will tell on that one. He/she has had a rough beginning and the first moult will improve the looks, regardless of species with the proper nutrition.

But to the subject at hand, are there any pin feathers developing on the tail?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
butala

Post by butala »

Thanks for your thoughts.
But it's unlikely to be either Blue Crowned or Conure. The only exotics flying free in communities and breeding are Ring Necks.
They are believed to have originated as escapees from South West London in the 1960's. They have recently been classified as a native species, but aren't really designed for the harsher extremes of our climate.
Vet's initial assessment is that it's basically a healthy bird. Good weight and muscle tone. But... there are examples of genetic weakness among some of the Ring Necks – and this may be one of them. It could also explain the odd beak colour.
I've increased vitamin supplements in the hope that it will help the poor plumage.

And, thank goodness... yes there are a couple of tail pins developing. With luck the next few weeks will see an improvement.

Thanks again for your interest. Any other theories are welcome.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Great! And still some feathers on the body to come in as well. Can't wait to see what he/she looks like after a good moult. :)
The colour won't change until then, when new feathers come in. I would assume the plumage now is simply a result of the stresses the poor thing was under as they were coming in and wouldn't worry too much.

I would, though, be cautious increasing the vitamin supplements and focus instead on feeding a variety of fresh foods. Personally I don't trust dosages of vitamins to be correct for a broad spectrum of parrot species who all eat differing foods in the wild thus having differing requirements. That and I worry about the fat soluble vitamins in too great amounts. You can increase protein which will help feather development as well (I like hard-boiled eggs or soaked and cooked beans + brown rice).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
butala

Post by butala »

Eggs and beans it is then! As well as fresh fruit which has been supplementing a parrot mix. Interestingly banana is totally rejected. Loves apple, grapes, tomato and cooked cabbage – as does my Jardine.
Will report progress.
P.S.
It's been snowing for a few days here in the UK. Very rare for November. Watching out for the wildlife that will have been surprised by sudden extreme conditions.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Ooh Jardines? Awesome, my sister wants one of those. We've read they are very playful.

Have you tried pear? Ours go gaga over it. For veggies they especially like cucumber (wedged so they can get nice big bites of the yummy seeds), all peppers, all squashes (summer, pumpkin, zuchinni), sweet potato, carrots, greens, and any type of pea in it's pod. Corn in all forms except for dried is welcome by them as well. I like to mash the sweet potato and add the diced veggies then freeze it in ice cube trays as serving portions. In summer I serve it cold but in winter they adore it all heated up.

Tsume likes his veggies finely diced, Hane doesn't really care.
butala

Post by butala »

Yes, Jardines are very playful, and chatty – although mine can occasionally get a little hormonal and become untypically aggressive. Gentle talking usually brings her round and she's soon ready for her tickle and cuddle. They're also uninclined to be neurotic if left unattended for a while. She enjoys all of the foods you listed - and you're right, she hates dried sweet corn and loves mashed potato.