Normal bird sounds

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

Normal bird sounds

Post by rosemaryalice »

I have 3 ringnecks. 2 males and a female in separate cages. Mr. Pickle is loud, he screeches when he wakes up for a while and in the evening. He chatters and wolf whistles and makes his presence known. Dilly the female is quiet and occasionally screeches or will scold if I walk by the cage with a blue yardstick which for some reason she hates to see. (I am measuring for flight cages) My other male was an aviary bird and he is 10 years old, he does a little screeching morning and evening and if he is scared. He also makes a soft sound like a whimper if you are near him and he is uncomfortable. Is this a normal sound? It is completely different from the others. He is in great feather, really beautiful and eats well. He is adjusting to living here and pays attention to Dilly who is caged between the 2 males. Sometimes bobbing his head. He is getting a girlfriend in a couple of weeks that I will cage next to him until they get acquainted and then they will be caged together in a different cage. I was just curious about the noise he makes since it is nothing like the others do. Any ideas?
ellieelectrons

Re: Normal bird sounds

Post by ellieelectrons »

rosemaryalice wrote: if I walk by the cage with a blue yardstick which for some reason she hates to see.
Mine used to hate the broom... I read somewhere that they are instinctually fearful of these things because they may think they are snakes??

IRNs have a large range of sounds. I once baby sat a friend's IRN that makes completely different noises to our birds. Sometimes in the shower ours will make sounds like a puppy crying. I think all of the different sounds mean something (although I don't know what they mean)... but I wouldn't worry about it if your bird seems happy in every other way.

Ellie.
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

Thx, Ellie, It does sound kind of like a puppy crying. These birds all have their own personalities and are very different from each other. Their colors are beautiful. They are so much fun to watch. It is hard to stop adding more of them!
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Mine also makes noises like a whining puppy when I'm in the shower for some reason...? I don't mind but it starts my dog howling and I only notice when I turn the shower off... it's like an animal orchestra!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Lilly wrote:Mine also makes noises like a whining puppy when I'm in the shower for some reason...? I don't mind but it starts my dog howling and I only notice when I turn the shower off... it's like an animal orchestra!
lol - glad I'm not your neighbour! :lol:
rosemaryalice

Post by rosemaryalice »

Hi! Fortunately all my birds live in the screen porch and we live on acreage. There are no neighbors for a half a mile on that side of the house. I can really enjoy them because they are really close and I can see them from the living room but if we want to watch tv or sleep in the noise doesn't bother us. At the other end of the 10 acre family property we live on my nephew has Llamas, horses, sheep, goats, chickens, geese, rabbits, dogs and they raise guide dog puppies until they are old enough to go to their owner. They would never even notice more noise! I could never live in an apartment because I also have 2 miniature schnauzers. I am very lucky to live where I do!