Need a bit of advice please.

Moderator: Mods

Stefan

Need a bit of advice please.

Post by Stefan »

i Recently bought a baby ringneck, nearly five weeks old. I am struggling to get it to eat. Although the bird does eat, i basically have to gently force its beak open to get the formula in.I'm using a formula for baby birds. I have checked the temperature of the food to make sure its not to hot or cold and also made sure its not to thick or thin. I even tried skipping a feeding but still the same. When it does eat the crop is still far from full. The bird seems fine, recently starting to make whistling noises. The birds does not seem to be sick as it walks , flaps its wings sometimes.Is this normal?

Thanks
Stefan :)
julie

Re: Need a bit of advice please.

Post by julie »

try a jar of baby food, apple/mango,apple ect. what brand of formula are you using and where are you located?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hi Julie

Thanks for the reply. I'm situated in South Africa, Johannesburg. I will try the jar food although i haven't seen it around here but i'm sure i will find some somewhere. I use Monati hand-rearing food. I thinks its made in S.Africa. Can i try and make a type of juice from fruits or is this not a good idea. I reduced the feedings from four to three per day and have seen an improvement the last two days. He/she does eat a little more than previously. I was concerned that this was a bad idea but he does not scream for food between meals, so i guess its ok.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Stefan :)
julie

Post by julie »

not sure about juice that young but it may be ok. If you cant find jar food already made up try stewing some apples. Also try putting some very small pieces of fruits and veg in for the baby to pick at, at first they pick things up and chuck it around and eventually get some in their mouths and get the taste for it. They also cut down on food when they start to fledge (learn to fly). Im handraising 3 youngens at the moment they are between 4 weeks and 2 weeks and im not really feeding set amounts or feeding at set times rather going by if they are hungry,im also checking to make sure they are gaining weight and looking healthy. If there is anything at all you want to know please dont hesitate to ask, we are more than happy to help out :D
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Hi Julie

Thanks for the help and tips. Will try it. Cant complain about the birds health. He is definitely gaining weight and is almost fully covered with feathers. Caught him this morning playing with the little blanket that i use to cover him when he is sleeping. Picked it up with his mouth, freezes for a moment and gave me a look as if he wants to say," what are you looking at" Lol

Regards
Stefan