wonky looking feather

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

wonky looking feather

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi All

When I got Janey out of the cage this morning and I found that one of her feathers looked out of place. I've attached some pics:
janey-feather03.jpg
janey-feather02.jpg
janey-feather01.jpg
Is this anything to worry about?

She is currently going through a moult. Janey and Charlie seem to be getting on ok, I haven't noticed any big fights although they do have the occasional squabble.

Last year when she had a moult I thought she was plucking feathers but that behaviour seemed to stop over the winter period.

I look forward to your responses.

Ellie.
julie

Re: wonky looking feather

Post by julie »

it is kinda funny looking but I dont think its anything to worry about.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks Julie. I just had another look at her now and it seems to have fixed itself.... I don't know what was going on.

Ellie.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

maybe it just got out of place when she was playing and she preened it back to normal
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

xx_sheena_xx wrote:maybe it just got out of place when she was playing and she preened it back to normal
I think you may be right... not sure when I became this much of a worrier! :roll:

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

When I took the cover off their cage this morning, they were sitting really, really close - that is, their bodies were touching... This doesn't happen too often.... so it got me thinking... maybe her feather got out of place during mating? I haven't seen them do it yet, although I've seen him trying to hop on her back unsuccessfully. What do you think? If so, does that mean I should get a nest box. The male isn't quite one yet.... so is there any point? The female is just over two years old.

Ellie.
Lags

Post by Lags »

my blue male has it happen a fair bit, and he flaps his wings heaps. I think its just a matter of a feather out of place. he always manages to fix it up himself in a minute or two. not sure if its painful, he doesn't show any sign of pain when it happens to him.