Male or Female???

Moderator: Mods

Eddie Harris

Male or Female???

Post by Eddie Harris »

Heys guys, i recently bought 2 aviary IRN's from a pet shop who where told by the aviary they are a breeding pair of male and female (obviously ^^) But after reading a few things and doing my own research it seems they might not be! So im abit unsure and was wondering if someone could shed some light! They are 18 months old and live very well together! The way i was told to tell which is male and female was that the female had ruffled feathers on her head because the male apparently when at sexual maturity over grooms the female. Thing is they BOTH display the ring around their necks, i do feel however the "female" has a more rounded head which can be seen when they stretch! The "female" is also alot more vocal (not sure if that helps) where as the male hardly makes any loud squawks. I've only had them for 2 days and they seem to be settling in VERY well, certainly considering the assumptions around aviary birds! Ive uploaded a few pictures of them too so you can get more of a look!

Thanks for reading guys!
Attachments
Confused3.JPG
Confused2.JPG
Confused.JPG
333greenbean333

Re: Male or Female???

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
you have 2 males there :D
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Yep unfortunately the pet shop owner didn't have a clue, you are the proud owner of two very beautiful blue males.
I hate pet shops as it is... half of them don't understand anything about the animals they are selling or how to look after them.
Eddie Harris

Post by Eddie Harris »

Ahhh thats slightly disappointing! I was looking forward to breeding them :( any clue on how old they are? does 18 months seem about right??
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Normally a IRN gets it's ring around two years of age... has been known a little earlier. The thing is once they do have their ring it's almost impossible to tell how old they are.
You have two beautiful healthy looking male birds, they seem to get along very well also.
Two female maybe...!? This time go to a breeder and make sure your getting exactly what you want plus he/she can give you advice on breeding.
Good luck! 8)
Eddie Harris

Post by Eddie Harris »

Ahh thanks very much guys! Although im not sure about the "getting along" thing, recently one of them tries to groom the other one, and when it does the other pins its eyes and either attacks or flees, anyone got an idea as to why??
Melika

Post by Melika »

Because he's a boy. :lol: Guys are always macho like that right?

Our two get along, for the most part. But they can't be housed together as Hane is such a bully!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Eddie Harris

Post by Eddie Harris »

HA! that's pretty lucky then, my two get along pretty well with each other even to the point they snuggle up to go to sleep at the top of their cage, they are still getting used to me but its getting better and better! I think one thing that was a good (but random) bonding experience was them escaping their cage and flying around the living room with me in it, i calmly layed down on the floor and they seemed to feel really happy with me low and them up high ^^ Only thing that was a problem was when one of them got behind the tv and was having trouble getting out, so i put a rope there and held it for yoshi to climb up... WHICH HE DID!! ;D

I have vids of the whole thing... i expect im going to upload them to youtube at some point and i'll link you guys!
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Eddie Harris wrote:
I have vids of the whole thing... i expect im going to upload them to youtube at some point and i'll link you guys!
Still waiting....!! :D