Nail Polish and Cooking?

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Nail Polish and Cooking?

Post by PythonzEve »

Hey, this may be odd or it may be old news, but I was just wondering about nail polish on my nails? I very rarely do it, but my hubby and I had our anniversary this last weekend and I painted them to dress up. Well at first Sukha didn't want anything to do with me and my purple nails, after which he would lunge, then he got really curious about them. He's fine with the color now that he sees it's still me and my fingers and tongues it a bit to check it out, but generally doesn't bite or bother them save for this morning when he was nibbling some polish came off. I don't think he ingested any, but it got me wondering with so many toxicities that birds can succumb to.

Also I have read about non-stick cookware which I know is bad for birds. We have some non-stick that is about 4-5 years old or so and is getting to the point that it needs replaced anyway (which will be replaced by non-non-stick, hehe), but I was wondering if it will be all right until we can afford a new cookware set? Sukha is in the office, then there is the living room or dining room depending on which way you go, then the kitchen and either way there are slatted french doors that we close while cooking and we have the stove exhaust fan running while we cook to try and do our best to keep any and all fumes away. Until I get a job we really can't afford a nice cookware set and he seems to be doing fine so far. Is the fact that it is fairly old and well used, the doors, the fan, the distance he is from the kitchen or everything that is keeping him fine? I've heard stories of just a few minutes cooking and the bird was dead but maybe it's just that situation or something?
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

Melika

Re: Nail Polish and Cooking?

Post by Melika »

Most of those stories where the bird died to quickly were because the bird was kept in the kitchen, or the dining/kitchen common area where non-stick cookware was being used.

I wouldn't have my bird out during cooking and keep him in his office for now.

When you get your new stuff, get 18/10 stainless steel (my favourite is a tri-ply where the layers go all the way up the sides for great heat distribution) which is naturally non-stick anyway. Only sticks if you burn your food! XD
Last edited by Melika on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Ours are housed in the dining room which adjoins the kitchen. Should we be moving them? We changed our cookware from non-stick when we first got them and rarely use cooking sprays and if I do, I try to take the pan out of the room to spray it. I never let them out when cooking on the cooktop as I'm paranoid about them getting hurt by the hot plate (even though their wings are clipped).

Ellie.
Melika

Post by Melika »

ellieelectrons wrote:Ours are housed in the dining room which adjoins the kitchen. Should we be moving them? We changed our cookware from non-stick when we first got them and rarely use cooking sprays and if I do, I try to take the pan out of the room to spray it. I never let them out when cooking on the cooktop as I'm paranoid about them getting hurt by the hot plate (even though their wings are clipped).

Ellie.
I think with your precautions, you should be fine. But that will have to be a personal decision. We do cook while our birds are downstairs in an adjoining room on their stands. The one time I am super paranoid though and birds are safely far away is when the oven is on self-cleaning. Many ovens have non-stick components that are affected during self-cleaning.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Thanks so much Melika and love the advice! I will definitely be referencing it when we buy new cookware!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown