how do i determine the age of my IRN

Moderator: Mods

Nclewis

how do i determine the age of my IRN

Post by Nclewis »

I got a male IRN about 6 months ago and the people at the pet store said he was about 7 months old. As i read more into IRN i am seeing that it takes about a year or more for them to get their rings. I was obviously lied to at the pet store. Can someone please help me to determine how old he is? Or point me in the right direction please!!!
Thank you,
Nick
333greenbean333

Re: how do i determine the age of my IRN

Post by 333greenbean333 »

sorry this doesnt make much sence :?
do you mean that you think it should have its ring by now? mine took 2 and a half years to get his. It depends on the bird.
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
Nclewis

Post by Nclewis »

Sorry I'm not the best at describing things. When I got him he already had his ring and it was very prominant but they said he was only 6/7 months old does that sound right?
bec

Post by bec »

the earliest i have ever seen a irn get his ring was 14 months old but that was a rare one
most people say by about 2 1/2 years
it doesnt sound right to me
if he has a full prominant ring its pretty hard to tell the age
they really dont change much once the ring comes in
Nclewis

Post by Nclewis »

Ok thank you very much. Apparently I was lied to but o well. Could that make it harder for me to train him with him being older?
bec

Post by bec »

it certainly makes taming him more of a challenge & you may never get him to be a cuddly bird but taming can definitly be done i was told when i bought my boy kieron that he was 18 months old but then i was told he had had 2 breeding seasons with his mate that had died ( irns reach breeding maturity betwwen 2 -3 years)
i did manage to tame him quite a bit but was never able to pat him as he had a pathological fear of hands & even worse fear of gloves ( i kid you not i couldnt even feed him when i broke my wrist as he would try to fly through walls trying to get away from me)
but i did get him to the point he would take food from me or during fly outs he would sit on the back of my chair and try to steal my popcorn, pizza, hot chips
food is a wonderful thing when it comes to taming irns
the basic rules i use for taming an older bird are
let him set the pace : no forcing the issue
put his cage in a room you spend alot of time in eg computor room loungeroom and let him watch you doing things (not just focusing on him)
eat in front of him things you can "share" with him this gives him a feeling of security if the biggest memeber of his flock is eating it must be safe for him to eat
plus he will also want to know if your food is better than his & find a food that he really loves ( i always use popcorn air popped with no butter or seasoning ) that is only given during training times i start out with a bowl for me & a little bowl for the bird at a point that is close to me but far enough away that he feels safe then as he gets more comfortable his bowl gets closer to me each day when his bowl is right next to me i leave his bowl empty so i can put some in when hes watching and then as he gets comfortable with that i just hold the popcorn in my hand & sit my hand in the bowl once this one is acheived i start feeding him by hand
with kieron when i did this steps it took months but each little step was like massive for him
i am presently going through this procces with a 4 year old hen at the momment although she is much harder going as she is disabled due to a poorly set broken wing followed by being attacked severly by one of my other birds now niether of her wings work
keep us posted on your guy
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Bec

This is great advice. We should collect stuff like that and put it in a resource section on the website.

Ellie.
Nclewis

Post by Nclewis »

I'm very sorry to hear about your hen I hope all goes well and I appreciate all of your help . I definitly see the potential in Jake to be a lover but I just can't get him comfortable staying on my hand or even when I reach in the cage to get him out he runs. He is in a big cage now with 2 cockatiels. Would it be better to have him in a seperate cage until he is completely tame?