peanuts

Moderator: Mods

powjoyce

peanuts

Post by powjoyce »

can indian ringneck eat roasted peanuts in the shells, they r not the dry roasted peanuts...if so how much can they eat of them a day? also is there a chat room on this web site? if so could someone send me a link to it. tks
floridamedgirl

Re: peanuts

Post by floridamedgirl »

I only offer dry natural peanuts in the shell- as an occaisional treat. Rule of thumb, if the IRN wouldnt normally encounter a food in the wild, dont offer it to them in captivity. I pretty much apply this to any type of altered food unless I prepare something just for him like veggie/corn bread or pasta noodles or rice.

I would just keep the regular peanuts, besides they get a kick out of trying to get it out of the shell!

Jess
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
powjoyce

Post by powjoyce »

floridamedgirl wrote:I only offer dry natural peanuts in the shell- as an occaisional treat. Rule of thumb, if the IRN wouldnt normally encounter a food in the wild, dont offer it to them in captivity. I pretty much apply this to any type of altered food unless I prepare something just for him like veggie/corn bread or pasta noodles or rice.

I would just keep the regular peanuts, besides they get a kick out of trying to get it out of the shell!

Jess

how much would u give them a day ? my loves them..but i don't want to be giving too much
Rueae

Post by Rueae »

powjoyce wrote:
how much would u give them a day ? my loves them..but i don't want to be giving too much
Too much of anything is a bad thing. I tend to use things like that as treats only. Ink (my IRN) is on a pellet diet and she gets fruits and veggies and random bits of other things as a treat, for the most part.
She loves peanuts though and since she has such an affinity, I tend to use these only for when I train her. I got unsalted roasted peanuts and crushed them so they were the right size for training treats, but I also got unsalted natural peanuts in the shell, for just normal treats. They do get a kick out of opening them and it's a good step if you want to teach your bird to forage.
I would say though, Ink rarely gets more than two whole, shelled, peanuts a day. It's not a major food group, just a nice surprise. :D

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.