Male or Female?

Moderator: Mods

Simona

Male or Female?

Post by Simona »

Hi. My name is Simona and I have a lutino ringneck - David. He is ~18 months old, and I don't know what to say about his/her sex. If he likes a toy, he pinning his eyes, singing at it, running over the object and doing something with the wings (opening back, like a heart). When he sees the reflection in the mirror, he kisses it (sometimes pinning his eyes, sometimes not) or he hits it with his beak and singing.
Someone told me that he might be male, because he stays to kiss him and to play with him, he talks (he says only one word) and copy some noises (the phone..) but until this age he hasn't any pink feather on his neck. He losed some feathers from there, but the new ones are yellow too.
I'll attach some videos and photos and I hope you'll help me. Should I wate until 2 years?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDWy2isO ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gINFiJg_wBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydCJu1OwEbU

nil

Re: Male or Female?

Post by nil »

hi
he looks like a male!
probably you must wait until the next molting to see the rose ring and the white area bellow the beak, a year more.
if you hurry you can send feathers for dna sexing or take him to a vet for a surgical sexing :wink:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The way he crouches down for pattings in the video reminds me of how our female crouches down. Our male doesn't do that but our male doesn't really like us touching him on his body much... so that may be the only reason he doesn't do that.

... and what is it about IRNs and toes? Janey will bite my ties when they are sitting there still.

Thanks for uploading the pics and the vids. You have a healthy, cared for bird there who loves to be around you. You've done a lovely job with him/her. Well done. :)

Ellie.
Kray Twins

Post by Kray Twins »

ellieelectrons wrote: ... and what is it about IRNs and toes? Janey will bite my ties when they are sitting there still.

Ellie.
I've been shocked by the two I have attacking my feet when i'm not looking! It's quite funny when they get my girlfriend though... :lol:
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I agree from the vids that your fid is a female .. If I had to put money on it I would put a packet on female. ;-)

Beautiful bird you have there .

My boy IRN Jordan loves to chase toes also, he even sneaks up on us. Make it a game and laugh or squeel will only continue the behaviour, if you don't mind that is ok. But if you want to stop it, I found ignoring it and letting him get my toe (he doesn't really bite it hard) show no reaction, and sometimes scoop him up onto my finger before he gets to my toe he has over time grown weary of the game. I must say though it has started up a little now its breeding season .. silly season .. sigh !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Simona

Post by Simona »

Hmm I would like to be male because I'd like to be more colourfull, but if it's a female, I'll love it much too. Thank you very much for the answers and apreciations! When I bought it, there were many insects between its feathers, but I used a special product and now he is ok. One time he was ill (because I gave him more fruits and vegetables in the same time), but a doctor saved his life and now they are my heroes.