What do these behaviors mean?

Moderator: Mods

nicoles_388

What do these behaviors mean?

Post by nicoles_388 »

I adopted a six year old green male indian ringneck about six months ago, and though I've been doing a ton of research on this breed for a long time before and after purchasing one, there's a few things I'm still confused about.

Eye pinning: is there any particular reason why they pin they're eyes? Do they do it because they're excited or because they're upset is mainly what I want to know.
Head bobbing: why exactly do they do that? Just for fun or what?
"Sizing you up": that whole thing where they pull back their head, left their wings a bit, and pin their eyes? Why the heck do they do that? Adorable but confusing.
Head flaring: I call it the grumpy face - where all the feathers on its head flare up and it looks kind of menacing? Is it really cus he's upset that he does that?

I'm trying to soak up every little bit of information I can get on this breed in hopes to understand my IRN better. I greatly appreciate ANY little bit you can offer. Thank you so much for your time!
~Nicole
julie

Re: What do these behaviors mean?

Post by julie »

Eye pinning: is there any particular reason why they pin they're eyes? Do they do it because they're excited or because they're upset is mainly what I want to know. Not sure exactly why they do it.

Head bobbing: why exactly do they do that? Just for fun or what?
"Sizing you up": that whole thing where they pull back their head, left their wings a bit, and pin their eyes? Why the heck do they do that? Adorable but confusing.
He is flirting with you :lol: he may be bobbing because he is planning to feed you too.
lynchy

Post by lynchy »

When my ringneck pins his eyes and dips his head and raises his wings, he is wanting me to give him a scratch and a pat. I believe it means they want you to physically touch them. It looks like the opposite but my ringneck does it all the time, He loves me to hold him and scratch for for ages. :D
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sounds like you have a very loving bird there!

Ellie.
birdbabe

Post by birdbabe »

I agree with Ellie,,,,he loves you.
nicoles_388

Post by nicoles_388 »

aaaww haha that's so cute! he is really sweet, but he isn't into being pet. He has a weird thing about hands, it's not too bad but he sometimes gets upset with hands to close to him - or his stuff haha.

So some of these behaviors can be considered signs of affection?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

nicoles_388 wrote:Eye pinning: is there any particular reason why they pin they're eyes? Do they do it because they're excited or because they're upset is mainly what I want to know.
Eye pinning can occur for a number of reasons. It can be because they are excited or upset... For example, Janey pins are eyes when she crouches down to receive a pat but she also pins her eyes when she is upset... and while she hasn't done it for a while, she would do it right before she lashes out at you with her beak. I guess it's about the context around when the bird does it.
nicoles_388 wrote:"Sizing you up": that whole thing where they pull back their head, left their wings a bit, and pin their eyes? Why the heck do they do that? Adorable but confusing.
I think that's what someone else referred to as the "love dance". I think he may be trying to court you. I've seen our male do that to our female bird.
nicoles_388 wrote:Head bobbing: why exactly do they do that? Just for fun or what?
If this is a sign of him wanting to regurgitate to you, then this is also a courting gesture. Be careful with this one as you don't want him to actually regurgitate to you.... :o
nicoles_388 wrote:Head flaring: I call it the grumpy face - where all the feathers on its head flare up and it looks kind of menacing? Is it really cus he's upset that he does that?
I'm not sure on this one.
nicoles_388 wrote:he is really sweet, but he isn't into being pet. He has a weird thing about hands, it's not too bad but he sometimes gets upset with hands to close to him - or his stuff haha.
If him liking hands is important to you, then it may take some time for him to get comfortable with them. Both of our birds will step up but only one of them likes being pet.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes!

Ellie.
julie

Post by julie »

Tell him what you are doing, if you are trying to scratch his head say something like scratch scratch as you do it. If you want him to step up as you put your hand forward say step up. This way they get to know what you are about to do, in my Alexandrianes case when I say scratch scratch he takes of running but indie my irn he bows his head for a scratch.
nicoles_388

Post by nicoles_388 »

@ellieelectrons: thank you so much that does help a lot! Mostly the gestures you say are courting behaviors, he does to his toys lol. He regurgitates to them as well. Is that normal? I was a little concerned about that.

@julie: I hadn't thought of that, thank you! I will definitely try it.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

When the bird doesn't have a mate, it will attach itself to toys / mirrors / human. You could choose to get your bird a mate but there is no guarantee they will be bond.... When we first put Janey and Charlie together in the one cage, I think she thought, "what are you putting this bird in here with me for? I'm a human, get me out of here!" Although she is reasonably well adjusted now and they seem to be bonding.

It's a hard decision though and plenty of people seem to keep single IRNs.

Ellie.
nicoles_388

Post by nicoles_388 »

Oh I see. I would gladly give him a mate if I could. But I just can't take on another bird. It's not unhealthy for him to be attached to his toys though is it?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm not an expert on this... I don't think it is "unhealthy"... but you probably just need to monitor it. For example, does he get really protective of his toys. I saw a cockatiel once that would pace maybe one or two steps from his mirror and then pace back... It seemed to do that all day. I felt really sorry for the poor little guy. He was kept in a furniture store near where I live... I think he lacked stimulation.

I hope someone who knows more than I do responds too.

My previous post wasn't advocating for you to get a second bird, I was just presenting it as an option.... even if you were to get a second bird, there is no knowing if they would get along anyway.

I think the main thing is to make sure your bird is stimulated and happy... and it sounds like you are doing that.

My friend who has an IRN found that she was constantly regurgitating to one of her toys... and she chose to get rid of the toy because she was worried that the bird would just keep regurgitating to it and make herself sick. I don't know if that is what would have happened.... but that is what she chose to do.

I think, just keep monitoring your bird's behaviour.

Sorry, I don't have the answers.

Ellie.
nicoles_388

Post by nicoles_388 »

I certainly appreciate any advice you could give on the subject. I will understand him sooner or later! Thank you for your input :)