Whats the (best) suitable cage for my ringneck(READ BELOW)

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

Whats the (best) suitable cage for my ringneck(READ BELOW)

Post by mickpmc »

Hi there,
Soon I will be buying a Ringneck. In the mean time, I am exploring and seeking to find
a good bird cage for Him/her. At the moment there are 2 good ones in the newspaper, (basically brand new). Theres one cage thats 160cm H x 60cm W plus wheels which is $120 "thats my 1st option". :roll:
My second option is a cage (comes with stand and accesories) 150cm H x 75cmW x 65cmW which is $190. Whats the better cage? Please help me out here :?
Thanks

Milo...Boy...Buddy
ellieelectrons

Re: Whats the (best) suitable cage for my ringneck(READ BELO

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Mick

It's hard to make a judgement without seeing the cages. I think the sizes are ok. The second cage has the biggest volume so should offer marginally more flapping wing space. (I assumed that the first cage is 160x60x60 as the 3rd measurement wasn't given.) I think the rule of thumb with cages is get the biggest you can afford for the space that you've got. You need to check that the bars are strong enough and that they aren't too widely spaced so that your IRN can stick his head between the bars (despite checking this at our local pet store, our IRN manages to pop her head through the bars when she is excited, causing much trauma for us all!). Birds tend to spend most of their time at the top of the cage so I think having a cage that has plenty of space for them to exercise their wings near the top of the cage is important.

Also, something I read before bringing our IRN home was that if you buy a secondhand cage you should disinfect it with bird-safe disinfectant before putting your bird in the cage as the previous bird may have had some sort of disease. Many of the books I have read seem to verge on the paranoid... but just thought I'd mention it just in case.

The cages seem well-priced depending on their condition - and you can probably only tell by checking them out.

Good luck!

REgards

Ellie.
mickpmc

Re: Whats the (best) suitable cage for my ringneck(READ BELO

Post by mickpmc »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi Mick

It's hard to make a judgement without seeing the cages. I think the sizes are ok. The second cage has the biggest volume so should offer marginally more flapping wing space. (I assumed that the first cage is 160x60x60 as the 3rd measurement wasn't given.) I think the rule of thumb with cages is get the biggest you can afford for the space that you've got. You need to check that the bars are strong enough and that they aren't too widely spaced so that your IRN can stick his head between the bars (despite checking this at our local pet store, our IRN manages to pop her head through the bars when she is excited, causing much trauma for us all!). Birds tend to spend most of their time at the top of the cage so I think having a cage that has plenty of space for them to exercise their wings near the top of the cage is important.

Also, something I read before bringing our IRN home was that if you buy a secondhand cage you should disinfect it with bird-safe disinfectant before putting your bird in the cage as the previous bird may have had some sort of disease. Many of the books I have read seem to verge on the paranoid... but just thought I'd mention it just in case.

The cages seem well-priced depending on their condition - and you can probably only tell by checking them out.

Good luck!

REgards

Ellie.
Yes, I went for the first cage becuase it was much closer to home and it
was basically the same cage size. The width was only a couple more cm so It
didn't really make any difference.
Heres a picture of the cage. Tell me what you think?
Link:

http://s779.photobucket.com/albums/yy77 ... CF0744.jpg

Milo...Boy...Buddy