parrot has a sudden change in behavior.. is this normal?

Moderator: Mods

miami

parrot has a sudden change in behavior.. is this normal?

Post by miami »

Hi my baby blue indian ringneck was born in february so it is currently 5-6 months old. It was captive bred so it is not hand reared. I have come to terms with it, it comes on my hand eats from hand, stays on shoulder and everything doesnt really bite unless its teased.

all of a sudden past 2 days iit has turned into a horrible bird, it screams loud, it keeps trying to bite me, it doesnt obey. its just diffrent? i know it is not hand reared, with clicker training i improoved its behaviour a lot, but now its crazy in that it try's to bite me when im giving it a treat and screams loud. why is this? is this normal? is this bluffing?

please help?
ellieelectrons

Re: parrot has a sudden change in behavior.. is this normal?

Post by ellieelectrons »

My blue IRN went through a similar stage at about that age. I thought it was bluffing but I'm not certain that it was. With patience, it stopped. In her case it lasted about a week but I believe times can vary. At the time I remember reading somewhere that the way you interact with your bird at this time can have a big impact on the future of your relationsp with your bird. I don't know if that is true but it is an interesting thought. I hope someone with more experience than me will provide you with a better answer. Good luck! I hope she/he improves soon. Interestingly our male hasn't gone through this phase (yet).

Ellie
Shane7285

Re: parrot has a sudden change in behavior.. is this normal?

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi there

sounds like it could be bluffing to me. have a read through this link:

http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

Regards

Shane