How often do Ringnecks poop?

Moderator: Mods

mickpmc

How often do Ringnecks poop?

Post by mickpmc »

I am thinking about getting a Ringneck :mrgreen: . However I have never lived with a bird before and I'm curious about the whole poop thing. They can't be trained to poop in a certain area or on command can they? If they poop on like a wooden table if you clean it up promptly does it eat through the finish or anything? And does the poop stain light colored carpets? (I assume it partly depends on what they are eating...I just mean in general). What do you use to clean it up? And does it smell very much? I've only had cats and dogs and the thought of them pooping all over is quite horrifying so I would want to make sure Ringneck poop is not so objectionable before I decide to get one. Oh and approximately how often do they poop :? . Thanks for any info anyone wants to provide! :wink:

Milo...Boy...Buddy
ellieelectrons

Re: How often do Ringnecks poop?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Mick

Not sure on the frequency of pooping... but I as far as I can tell it doesn't smell. If you have a tame ringneck, they do poop all of you... however, I know of some people that have managed to train their Indian Ring Necks to poop in certain places using positive reinforcement. I haven't managed to do that however.

The only permanent damage the poop has done to my furniture is a smear on my cloth office chair... stains on clothes will come out in the wash.. although I have accidentally left the house with birdie poop streaming down my back! I have a sort of birdie cape that I put around my neck and over my clothes to try to minimise the poop landing on my clothes but it doesn't always work. The cape has little plastic toys and buttons sewn on it for the birds to play with.

I try to keep my IRNs out of carpeted areas whenever possible but we have had some accidents. When this happens I try to pick it up straight away and sometimes use a wet cloth to try to soak it all up.

The most mess, however, doesn't come from poop, it is the area surrounding their cage. We give them fresh food and veg every day as well as seed or pellets. They fling bits of fruit and veg around and seed and chunks of wood from destructed toys do tend to end up everywhere. We put a disposable plastic painter's drop sheet down under our bird's area and dispose of it weekly / fortnightly to make cleaning up a little easier. The glass door surrounding their cage has small bits of dried on fruit and veg on it... and it is hard to get off... I will have to soak and scrub it. We have a large cage that has a detachable "collar" on it. It is helpful and does make a difference but when we use that we can't get the cage through our doorways so we haven't used it for quite some time now.

I think it is good going in with your eyes open.... IRNs bond to you and I am told they live for about 20 years, and it is important that you are aware of the pitfalls as well as the great things that come with sharing your home with them. Birds are messy and the bigger the bird, the more mess... however, they are lovely animals to share your life with (even when they are naughty).

Best wishes in making an informed decision!

Regards

Ellie.
Jamiepd

Post by Jamiepd »

I've heard you can get a diaper on trade me here in NZ
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 643622.htm

I personally have not used them but they may be helpful.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

funny subject :lol:

but can be an important one
i think they poop about once every 15min or 30min, not exactly sure
they can be trained to fly back to their cage to poop but it takes a lot of time and effort
it hasnt stained my clothes, carpets, wood furniture or anything els
and unlike dogs and cats it doesnt smell :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

As for poop stains, that definitely depends on what they have been eating. I can usually get the colour out with a little vinegar and water mix...

They will poop more often when they have been eating. Yes, you can train a parrot to poop on command. Google 'parrot potty training' and you will have plenty of reading to do!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay