my parrot has a phobia

Moderator: Mods

parsley

my parrot has a phobia

Post by parsley »

crivens is the most fearless creature i've ever known. she's my adorable 11 month old, female indian ringneck. she's not scared of any noises, even trucks, chainsaws, vacuum cleaners.. nothing. she's not scared of going out after dark. she's not scared of cats or dogs. she'll hop on anyone's shoulder, especially if they're nice and tall.

but tonight, as i was filling up my hot water bottle, she suddenly flipped out. tried flying away from me (her wings are still clipped from when i got her 8 months ago), and making this terrified CAAAWWWRRR CAAAAWWWRRRR CAAAAAWWWWRRR noise until i took her away to another room. i looked around and couldn't find anything new that could have scared her, so i thought it must be the hot water bottle. i took her gradually over to another one i have, no reaction at all. then i remembered reading somewhere about some pet birds not liking purple coloured pellet food. the hot water bottle i was filling up was purple, the second was red. mad idea, but i went and got a purple shirt to test the theory anyway. she went completely nuts again!

my parrot has porphyrophobia!

i couldn't help but giggle, she's such a fearless girl normally! fortunately purple is the colour i like the least :D

anyone else had a reaction like this?
Attachments
crivens.jpg
crivens.jpg (27.6 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: my parrot has a phobia

Post by ringneck »

Yup! It's quite common. My Archimedes is terrified of the ironing board and the furniture on the patio. I have no idea why. Poor thing. In fact, i am going to start some positive reinforcement actives to help him overcome this phobias. Interesting..huh? :lol:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
sean mcewan

Post by sean mcewan »

Actually i'll agree with imran parrot there, the ironing board has always been a negative symbol and torturous instrument for men :)!
parsley

Post by parsley »

nice! crazy little critters :D
bec

Post by bec »

i ahve one bird (riku) who has arachnaphobia & will not stop screaming if there is a spider anywhere in sight
and my kingparrot (fred) is terrified of my dog but only when i ahve moved his cage outside for fresh air when he is inside he totaly ignores the dog
and trivi is just scared of being touched AT ALL!!!!! but she was a rescue who came to me with a damaged wing that had been broken & not set properly i dont know how she was injured but i just dont push the taming thing with her
laine

Post by laine »

Funny things they all are. Smokey doesn't like alluminium foil. So if I am preparing dinner (or anything I when need to line an oven tray with foil) he goes nuts. His screaming and squwaking is unbearable. He also doesn't like me holding a ruler - no idea why it's not as if he has ever been hurt by one. I don't really have a problem with Smokey disliking a color but he does prefer yellow - probably because it's so bright. He loves anything shiny regardless of it's color.
OliveIrn

Post by OliveIrn »

My bird is normally extremely soft and innocent but when someone touches his yellow toys and food bowl he goes absolutely nuts! He starts making noises and tries bite anyone who is near. Anyone else notice their birds being defensive about yellow things?