HELP Needed IRN brought yesterday. Very SCARED BIRD!

Moderator: Mods

miami

HELP Needed IRN brought yesterday. Very SCARED BIRD!

Post by miami »

i brought this indian ringneck parakeet yesterday, royal blue in colour, its 3-4 months old and is a male, from the pet shop that had ordered it in for me, it was in a small box, the ones pet owners give when you take an animal home for a good 6 hours in a very hot weather yesterday as it came from the other end of the country. i brought it home its in a ggood cage, plenty of food water and fruits. But soon as i put my hand on the cage it starts flapping like crazy? its been 1 day i brought it home, i would see it doing normal stuff like climbing around the cage, but as soon as i put my hand near it, to change the fruit or what ever, it flapps its wings and falls down sometimes or just flys everywhere. When its "peaceful" aand i go near it, it kinda turns around when i get my face close to it? not sure why it is so scared,

how long will the bird take to calm down, come on my hand, get used to me etc?

does anyone have any experience with purchasing a baby indian ring neck that has not been hand raised?

what advice or suggestions to any sites or anything people can do to help me interact with it, without it being so scared?!

please help! much appreciated thank you very very much
bec

Re: HELP Needed IRN brought yesterday. Very SCARED BIRD!

Post by bec »

your bub sounds like its been a very stressful time for him
i would give him time to settle in to his new home this can take a bit of time
talk to him alot while not aproaching the cage let him have time to get sed to you too
place his cage in a room you use alot eg: the room you have your computor in so he can get used to your presence when your not focused on him
and eat in front of him especialy foods you can share the combination of curiousity & food will win him over be very patient with him & try not to rush him let him set the pace for now
good luck & keep us posted
by the way his color sounds beautiful we would love to see pics & what did you call him?