help/wing problem.

Moderator: Mods

Trips

help/wing problem.

Post by Trips »

Hi all I was out today looking around for a Rooster and after about the 4th pet store I came across what I was looking for while I was picking which rooster I wanted I heard a IRN call out reminding me of my blue girl so me and my gf went to have a look and to find these 2 IRN's that look like they had been trimmed by a lawn mower, we were that concerned about the birds that I went up to the guy and offered him $80 for the both and surprisingly he took the offer calming he just got them in today I’ve got them both at home now but am a bit worried about the little green girl her wing seems to be slightly bent near the rounding part of wing near the chest whom ever owned these two clearly had no idea what so ever they have trimmed higher than the 2ndry feathers it just looks like they grabbed the bird and let a little kid go nuts chopping away

the little green girl is very handle able and the little boy is so-so I been spending a lot of time with them this afternoon as when I got them the it was too late to take them to a vet for a check up so I have that planned for first thing in the morning I am going to go and try get some pictures so hopefully I can get some feedback on the little girls wing

Please help? or give toughts as to what you think it could be
(pics up in 20 mins)

Thanks
Trips

Re: help/wing problem.

Post by Trips »

images of both the birds sorry for delay on dailup damn bush lands

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh those poor birds. :(

Do you mean the hens right wing looking at the pictures?

Maybe the person/persons 'trimming' the wings were a little heavy handed and hurt or sprained it. Not sure. :/
A trip to the vet might shed light on whats wrong with it.

I can't even think of what the people would have trimmed the wings with to get that sort of outcome. :evil:

Geez, would have thought Brissy would have done away with dial up by now. :lol:

My sister used to live around Jimboomba area. Haven't been there in years. :)
Trips

Post by Trips »

yea in picture one it would be the right wing

and by the looks of it i would say it was very blunt cutters or a butter knife because some of the feather arent even cut propley they have left the stem and just pulled the feathering off and some are just bent and semi snapped off ( dont want to try clean the feathers up untill a vet gets to have a look tho ) =( ill be taking her down to the vet first thing in the morning tho

and yea sadly i am in jimboomba lawl dailup is the best u can do out here unless u pay Big $ for small wireless plans
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Wow what a mess they've made out of 2 beautiful birds...
Good luck with at the vets. Hope its nothing.
Trips

Post by Trips »

just a quick update on the little green girl took her to the vet today and they did an xray turns out the wing was broken awhile ago and the stupid ppl that sold them to the pet shop didnt do anything about the break it has started to heal however because whom ever own this bird didnt take her to the vet the wing has managed to heal out of shape the vet did touch and feel around the wing and did say it isnt giving her any pain however she may be that way 4eva she did say the only way anything could be done is if the wing wasnt strong enough that it rebroke and she was returned to the vet right away ( however ill just keep her happy in a small cage that wont allow flying unless when she is out with me so im around if anything was to go wrong she is very friendly )

other then that she can live as a normal life that anyone could with a just have to be carefull ( no outdoor flight cages )

she is still happy enough to sit on your hand and have a whistle and eat food out of your hand just will look a bit weird

an update on the little boy he was seen at the same time as the girl he is fine apart from the over careless trimming job just needs to be left to regrow back he is very talkative gets very upset if the little girl is taken out of the cage without him so they tend to stick together alot
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Sad story about that broken wing. She would've been in terrible pain. What a bunch of idiots.

Well its real good that she found you and you noticed what was wrong with her and took her to a vet. Yeah I'd say it would probably be like that for the rest of her life too.

Well good luck :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Sounds like both birds have ended up at a great home now.

Poor little girl having a broken wing and no medical help. :( At least it is on the mend and hopefully wont give her too much grief in the future.
Trips

Post by Trips »

yea its mended to the point it dont hurt when touched and that she will try fly if she gets the chance =\

they are both doing good today set them up in a cage big enough for the both of them however not a enough to fly that way she cant rehurt herself filled them up with lots of toys to keep the flight idea away

oh and i have named them Sherk and FiFi (Fiona) as they the get along very well with my buddy and skye so they diffently found there new home and it makes it easier then calling them bird 1 and bird 2 LOL
bec

Post by bec »

oh poor bubby....
she reminds me of trivi who i got from a parrot rescue she has the same thing a poorly set broken wing but i was aware of that when i got her i have her in a very large cage though as she still doesnt like to be touched i have put ladders & flexible rope perches all through her cage so she doesnt "have" to fly she seems quite settled with that & loves climbing all over
and your boy is beautiful too
Trips

Post by Trips »

yea it’s sad that ppl allow stuff like that to happen however she is doing well now I went out and built up a nice size cage that allows her to move around alot without the need to fly alot of long perches to walk along and plenty of room to stretch her wings hopefully she will enjoy the room without the height to fly

It is currently

1.7m wide
1m high
.5m deep

I’ve got her and sherk in together since I got them together and sherk gets very upset when I take her out of a cage he has currently learnt to say what are you doing from listening to my other male buddy and asks me that every time I come into the room or if I take fifi (Fiona) out of the cage without him he follows me from side to side of the cage asking me what are you doing until I either tell him or put fifi back in with him lol

I been letting them out together to meet buddy and skye ( my other 2 IRN's ) every 2nd day which is going well bit iffy about it still as buddy and skye have been together for awhile and I have been told IRN's can be flirty

Have notice fifi digging in the saw dust that I have lined their new cage with also have walked in the room a few time finding sherk feeding fifi
yoshi

Post by yoshi »

Oh my goodness... :( I almost started crying when I saw the pictures. That is so horrid. I don't understand how someone could do that to a bird, and on top of that NOT tend to a BROKEN wing!?

People are such idiots.

I'm so glad to hear that they are in a good, safe, loving home now. They deserve it. Jeez, I'm still in shock.
Trips

Post by Trips »

she is going very well now she has learnt to unlock/open/close her cage i have woken up a few times to her sitting on the top of her cage with sherk asking her what she is doing lol she likes being out of the cage alot so i let her do as she wants =)

last night we had fish and chips she got out of the cage and walked her way over to the table climbed my pants up my back peaked my ear untill i let her walk down my arm to start taste testing my chips and fish poor of sherk cant get himself out so i had to save him so he could have some chips
bec

Post by bec »

lol my guys LOVE!!!!! chippy night i have to buy about $2 more these days so they all get some