Heated lamps?!?

Moderator: Mods

Hermionestwin

Heated lamps?!?

Post by Hermionestwin »

Its starting to get colder where i live, and i am unsure what should i do for my 9-10mth old IRN...should i get her a heat lamp for night? She is only in her cage during the night, and she is cover by 3-4 light blankets/sheets to keep the light out, but every morning her feet always feel cold, and i am just wondering if she is getting to cold at night for her, its been about 4-7C at night would that be too cold for her?
smallworld

Re: Heated lamps?!?

Post by smallworld »

I think that would be a lil bit cold, yes. They're from a more temperate place and I'm told that +5 would be the temperature threshold for IRNs. Though I found our IRN shivering even when it was +15 or so and he was from an outdoor aviary. I had him checked just to be sure it wasnt his diet or something else that was making him feel cold.

I dont know what you mean by heat lamps. I use an infrared light when the birds get sick. But only in short bursts of 15 minutes, every hour or two. I guess if your heat lamp was electronically controlled to keep the temperature constant at a comfortable degree, then it would be alright.