sexing question

Moderator: Mods

Omnicromm

sexing question

Post by Omnicromm »

hello to all of you, well there is a long time since my last post, well i have a question kiwi is molting, he/she started to molt his/her head, now he/she is 2 years old, but there is still no sings of the ring so now i could say i have a girl? i have been serching on the internet and i found mixed results some sites says the get the ring in a timeframe from the 17 months to 3 years but another ones say the top is 2 years so i came here to solve my question!!!! i love kiwi but i hate that i can not say "he" or "she" or give him/her a definitive name!!! so could i start to say "hello girl" or i have to wait another year to be sure? thanks a lot for the answer!!!

Alex
smallworld

Re: sexing question

Post by smallworld »

Why dont you DNA sex kiwi? You wouldnt have to wait that long and I dont think it costs all that much. All you need to do is send a good healthy feather to the lab. Otherwise I'd say wait another year before you start calling Kiwi, 'hey girl' :)
Omnicromm

Post by Omnicromm »

Well i have a problem with that, here in my country there is a restriction to send live samples to other countries and for some reason feathers are live samples :x !!!!

well i will follow your advice and wait for another year, he/she does the male display all the time to daikiri (he/she is younger) both of them are very happy!!! and i love them!!! at first i only had Kiwi but my mom who live at the next door told me that the bird cries all the day so i got Dikiri and since that everything is great!!!!

well thanks a lot for the help!!!!

Alex
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

They dont do lab tests on feathers inside Guatemala? I think it counts as a live sample because of the bacteria or viruses it might be carrying. Well I guess you've no option but to wait to be sure. :)
Omnicromm

Post by Omnicromm »

No, here there is no avian vets, and the few ones that treat birds does not do the DNA test, if you want to know the sex of your bird they do some cirugical procedure, but i prefer to wait another year than expose my birds to that invasive procedure! :wink:

i agree with your maybe the bacterial and the chances of virus make so hard to send feathers to other countries! this came since the A flue so maybe that make the goverment to change the policy about it!

well i have been waiting for two years so i guess is not going to be a proble to wait for another year to be sure!!! :D

thanks a lot for the help!!!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

No problem. :) Glad my opinion helped.