At what age do ringnecks?

Moderator: Mods

Sash4

At what age do ringnecks?

Post by Sash4 »

Hi guys , what age do indian ringnecks bottom beak turn black? ive seen picks of ringnecks and owners say they are 6/7 months, but still with a red beak both top and bottom, i was told mine were approx 5 months when we got them, but there bottom beal was already black?
Shane7285

Re: At what age do ringnecks?

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Sash4

My guy is 7 months old and already has a lower black beak. I think it went black at around the 5 months old or so, can't really remember exactly when.

Regards

Shane
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

not sure of what age they go black but i have a 7 month old and she has no black at all
i also have a 5 year old that has no black
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

thats interesting sheena,

what colour is the one with no black at 5 years old? I'm thinking maybe that certain colours don't get a bottom black beak?

Regards

Shane
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

his blue
havnt cheaked today to see if his got it yet, i dint know they were supposed to, i thought only females did
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Sheena

thats interesting indeed. As you can see mine is blue as well. He has been DNA sexed as male so that rules out the female only thing.

maybe somone with more knowledge can come along and help out.

Regards

Shane
Lags

Post by Lags »

i have a female lutino who is 18 months old. she has no black on her beak at all, and i have an 8 month old male blue ringneck, and he has a black beak already.
the thing i do notice is that the female lutino has white feet, and the blue male has black feet. I am thinking that the female is some kind of "albino" type mutation, giving her the fair skin, and i don't think she'll get a black beak or the black 'sunglasses' that they usually get, or she would have them by now.
does anyone have a lutino with black feet/beak?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

just cheaked all the IRNs at home,
my male (blue) has no black at all, my female's (blue) lower beak is all black.
my dads male (green, split to blue and lutino) has a little bit of black on its beak, the female (albino) doesnt at all.
my Handraised IRN who is 7months has no black either (cinnamin green)
i dont think IRN's with white feet get the black on their beak.
i think it depends on the individual bird if they get black or not and how much, just like freakles for people, some have them and some dont
Lags

Post by Lags »

just having a closer look at my two, he female lutino (Puddy) has "white" where the black shouldbe on her beak, and she has "white" sunglasses too. The blue male (Babu) has black bottom beak and black tip on the top beak, and black sunglasses. Both these colours match the colours of the skin on their feet. funny little things aren't they?!
alyce

Post by alyce »

Hey guys

I think anything with a visible ino gene (either lutino or albino or creamino etc) have light coloured feet/eyes/beaks.

All my blue and green birds ended up with dark bottom beaks, and dark feet and nails. I have some colours which have brown feet and brown nails, others still have pink feet and clear nails! My lutinos and albinos have always ended up with red beaks, top and bottom. Some of them dont have particular bright lower beaks but they are def red!

My skyblue boy (blue cinnamon/pallid) has a brown bottom beak and lighter grey brown feet compared to the regular blue ones.

Maybe it is like the freckles thing... all birds are individuals just like us i suppose!

Alyce