Closet talker/whistler

Moderator: Mods

Shane7285

Closet talker/whistler

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi all

just wondering how many of your ringnecks are closet talkers or whistlers? Nemo has mastered the wolf whistle for a while now, but will only do it when you are out of the room. This morning however, he managed to say either "c'mon" or "hello", and "watchya doing". He will go on a chatting rant by himself, but as soon as he sees anyone, he will stop. Anyone have the same with their birds.

Regards

Shane
bec

Re: Closet talker/whistler

Post by bec »

yeah trivi is like that too whenever im in the loungeroom and no one else is here she will chat away (in irn speak ) but the instant im in her sight she clams up
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hi,
well I've not only had ringnecks and I find this the situation with alot of bird species that start mimicking human sound. I think 'closet talking' isnt something exclusive to ringnecks because birds in general are shy and especially when they start to talk, so they prefer to do it when we're not at around :wink:

Echo however (the ringneck we have) isnt like that. He just starts bursting into all sorts of funny sounds, when we're there. We havent managed to decrypt their meanings yet though :D
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey is somewhat of a closet talker. I believe he chats to himself to occupy his time till I am around. I have, in a way, proven this by leaving him in his cage and hiding in a nearby room. Also if he wakes before me he will amuse himself with chatter/whistles but as soon as he hears movement he just starts yelling to be let out.