Microchipping.

Moderator: Mods

pinkdevil

Microchipping.

Post by pinkdevil »

What are peoples ideas/experiences with having a bird microchipped?
Good idea or bad?

From what I have read, the bird is placed under a light anesthetic to have the microchip inserted in or around the breast muscle.

I am thinking about having Rafiki done.
Obviously there is always a risk with having an animal under anesthetic and I am unsure as to whether to risk him under the anesthetic to have him chipped.
The only reason for having him chipped is IF he ever is stolen I then have some sort of proof that he is mine.
Not that a stolen bird is ever on display anyway, usually goes under ground. :o/
smallworld

Re: Microchipping.

Post by smallworld »

Hi pinkdevil,
I know alot of people here microchip their greys. But there are also some with this XL-ring. I personally though, wouldnt want either on me and therefore wouldnt microchip my bird. Echo has a ring on him, that he got at an early age, from the breeders. He keeps biting it, till today and I'm thinking of having the vet remove it. I feel bad everytime I see him chew at it.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey,

Really great post and really good question :wink: . I personally would have it done—simply because the rewards are tenfold. Though I know this is highly controversial and some believe invasive, I think it’s defiantly a safety net for you and your bird.

It’s really simple and only requires a shot that will insert a small microchip that thankfully cannot be removed. I have seen countless people lose their birds—usually the pet bird is caught by a local neighbor or stranger and adopted if the owner cannot be found. Then again, I have had some neighbors take my birds and claim them as theirs after they escaped—had I had them chipped I am sure this could have been resolved. Over here, it is now mandatory that all dogs be chipped before being adopted from a local shelter and I believe it’s a great idea—why should birds be exempt?

Quite frankly Tasa, you live in an area where Greys are not common birds—in fact they are VERY expensive and a dream to many bird enthusiasts. Imagine Rafiki getting lost many miles away from you—do you think he would be returned so easily?—unfortunately and probably not. I have seen this, and I don’t know why, but people who find parrots honestly believe they automatically own it for finding it. It’s a sad reality.

Besides, Rafiki is about six months at the moment. The procedure is quick and I promise, if your little monster ever gets away the chances of you getting him back are great :wink: .

Always your buddy :D ,

IMRAN-C
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Thanks for the replies. :)

I know what you mean Ringneck, unfortunately I am reading, hearing and knowing people who have had their birds or expensive animals stolen by low lives who think they deserve the animals more than the owners. :evil: :evil: :evil:

My partner Shane was into reptiles, snakes and lizards mostly. He knew of someone who had their family bound, terrorised and held at gun point while the thieves stole their expensive reptiles. All for the almighty $$.
Because of this, the guy who once loved and enjoyed keeping his pets, has given it all up as it is just not worth the risk to him or his family again.

It is a shame that if you own expensive animals, you need to keep it under wraps and not allow anyone to your house or disclose any info about where you live or what you have as the risk is just too great.
It is hard coz your excited and want to share the news of your new pet but you can't just tell anyone incase the wrong ears hear the news. :( :(

All expensive pet purchases here are done like a drug deal, NEVER giving out any info until you are certain that the deal has gone through, meeting in public places like maccas or KFC for the 'deal' to go down.
One guy I know bought a few reptiles off a breeder, quite a large purchase with a large sum of money exchanging hands. The seller hired his 'protection' guys armed with automatic guns & rifles, sitting in a parked car a few car spaces away......just incase something went wrong.

It is not that these sellers or buyers are doing anything illegal, it is just that there is so much money at stake, you really can't trust anyone.

It really is a sad world we live in. :(
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Never get them chipped, one day we might be getting micro chipped, that's the mark of the beast!!
Elivia

Post by Elivia »

Is there such a thing as getting them chipped with a tracking device - like with some mobiles parents have for there kids so they know exactly where their child is if you look up on the internet or something? That would be a good idea if it was possible. imagine how many lost or stolen birds out there that could be tracked down with the exact location....
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is a cool idea, Elivia. I do not know if there is such a thing though. Would be perfect way to keep tabs on where the bird is. :)