What should i do.

Moderator: Mods

dog_glenn123

What should i do.

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi all,
A couple of days before Easter i had a blue IRN male turn up at my house, I guess he was attracked to my birds. I went away for the entire long weekend and when i got back he was still there.He seems tame as i can get to within a foot of him with food in my hand and he also doesnt seem to mind if im out the back with him.
The problem i have is that i also have a labrador and as you can imagine the bird has caught the dogs eye. He seems like he doesnt wont to leave and now my male IRN's are now feeding him threw the cages :lol:
Do you think i should catch him as i would hate to see my dog get him or any of the local cats.
He just sleeps in the tree next to the aviary and walks around on the ground like he owns the place. If it wasnt for the dog and local cats i would just let him be.
I have a spare cage to put him in if i catch him just not sure if i should or not.

I should also ask has any body in west Sydney lost a male blue IRN. :P

Thanks Glenn

Any ideas would be great.
xx_sheena_xx

Re: What should i do.

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i would catch him and put him in a spare cage, just to make sure the cats dont get him!
it would also be a good idea to put an add in the local paper to say that you have found him
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I agree with sheena if you can catch him and advertise in local shops and papers, maybe even radio? If no one claims him, you can either keep him or give him to someone. :)

As much as I love the ringies, they are not native here and will compete with native birds for food and nest sites etc. Also, like you said, for his safety from dogs, cats and preditory birds. There are already escapee or released ringnecks wild in Australia which are considered pests and are causing alot of problems, now they are being culled. :(

He sounds like a sweetie to. :) :)
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Yeah you're right about leaving him alone. I mean I'd want to do that too but with the cats and all, it might not be very long till he becomes prey.

How are you gonna catch him though? I know the lure with food technique, that many people use but its not a 100% success. You know the trail of seeds to the open cage :wink:

When I was really young about 7 or 8, there was a way we used to catch birds (me and the neighbourhood boys). It wasnt perhaps the the best way for the bird, but it was 90% efficient, though most of the birds we caught were pigeons.

We use to scatter food in a circle, most of it rice grains. Then take a long strand of cotton thread, double or triple it over for extra strength and loop it around the rice. It used to work like a lasso. So we could hide really far away behind a tree or bush or something and once a bird was directly in the center of it, we pulled on the lasso. The result, usually one of its feet were caught, sometimes both. I know not the safest way but we never hurt any birds. We caught them just to hold them and let them go.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Thanks for all your relpy guys/girls.
I had heard about them being a pest issue as well.
I have been putting food on the top of my big aviary so i thought what i would do is put the spare suspended aviary ontop of that one leave the side open with the food inside and then close it when he walks in.
This morning he followed me from one side of the yard to the other as i fed my birds until i put his food on the avairy. :P
I think he will just walk in to the avairy while im their.
I dont really want to scare him by chasing him with a net or snaring him with string.
The radio stations in Sydney dont usually let you put lost and founds on it.
I will put something in the local paper and in the local shop windows.
I checked and nobody so far has put a sign up saying they lost him.

Thanks again Glenn
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Awww....sounds like he has already chosen his home....with YOU!!!! :D
How cute following you around the yard. Sounds like he was tame or tame-ish at one point.

Good luck with catching him.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Well i caught him, too easy. :lol:

No body has advitised localy or on the net that they have lost him.
I will check the local paper on wednesday.
I thought i would put him in my large aviary. what a stupid idea that was, the hen in the cage is well lets just say narsty!!!!!!!!!!!! It took 2 seconds for her to latch onto him.
Jumped back in the cage and got him out, he wasnt even shaken up by it hes a really relaxed bird.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You could advertise on the PetLink site asking if anyone has lost a bird. But I guess a lot of people who want a free bird would put their hand up. :|

Does he have an id ring or talk/whistle etc to help identify the rightful owner?

I guess your girl has already claimed the aviary as hers and didn't like the added addition to her domain....poor boy.
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Yer theres no id ring but there is a couple of noises he makes that arent bird noises to help identify him.
I thought the same thing about people trying to get a freebie.

And yer there is another male in the cage with her but hes 6 months old and they dont really pay much attension to each other. Hes the only bird she has let in the cage.
Maybe they have already paired!
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Thats cool that you caught him! :D How'd you do it? Does he step up or something like that for you? Because if he's that tame, then maybe you should consider he chose your home :wink: I mean yeah if you loose your bird, you'll want it back but that bird left the family it was with and never left your home for days. He's also really cool around your other birds so maybe he's just happy with the company. If he comes from a home, where there are no other birds, that might explain why he is so attracted to yours :)
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Na he wont step up but i just put a suspended aviary with some food in it and he walked into it. I just walked up behing him and closed the door. :P

I would like to keep him but at the moment i really dont have the room, I just caught himso my dog or any other animals gets him.

He only gets along with the other male birds as my females are very territoral. Angry females :lol:

I am trying to find the person who lost him or a new home.